Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 67 Mustang coupe, and I am looking for a new motor. I have looked through all the local salvage yards and I have found a few good engines. I am considering going with a late model 5.0 with EFI. I was curious if anyone has taken on this project or has any info on it. Also if anyone knows if you can still get significant power from a 5.0 if you went with a carb instead of the EFI. Lastly, what parts will I need from the car to make the conversion work. I have read a lot of things about it and it seems like there is a lot I need to take out from all over the car. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hey, I Dropped a EFI 302 from an 88GT in my 67, its not really that hard to do, The 88 I picked up was in a wreck so i got the car for $1,000 pulled the motor tranny and harness and laid them in my 67.
There are a few odd ball parts i had to workout to make things work but overall it was worth the effort.. the car starts in an instant and runs really smooth, plus i love to pop the hood and show off the efi.
:gringreen

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am in the process of dropping a 5.0 in my 68 and it is just to easy to pass up. Either california mustang or ron morris and other places sell the harness, fuel pumps, and other various parts. I'm making things work for I don't have alot of loot to go all out. Planning on getting a site together of all my mods.
A great site including the links he has is Ultrastang.com also he has a rear disk setup that works awesome. Oh and a 5.0 has so many mods that can be done and all easy to find. Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, thanks for all your help. I am definitely going through with this I'll let you guys know how it goes. thanks again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have just finished converting a late model 302 into my 68. What I needed was
1.) 50 oz short (no spacer) harmonic balancer
2.) flex plate from late model(mine was auto)
3.) timing cover from 289 to keep mech. fuel pump.
4.) water pump from 289.
5.) 4 bolt crank pulley for v-belt.

There is some work to do when mounting the timing cover. The bolts are the opposite of what you need in order to use the older cover on a newer block. I also reused my intake carb, distributor and alternator (w/brackets) to maintain the older look.

I hope this helps.... :drink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in the middle of an efi conversion. 88 5.0 w/AOD the 88 timing cover has a spot on it to drill out to accept the dipstick. you'll need an early model oil pan and i suggest a new pick up tube for a 68 302. a piece of dowell rod from home depot plugs the old dipstick hole nicely. I used an original wiring harness. just the one under the hood with the computer. don't forget all 3 relays (A/C, EEC, and the fuel pump relay). I spent almost $2k for motor, trans (AOD), brackets, gaskets and fuel system.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hey lightening what kind of fuel pump you running is it out the tank, im doing the same swap in a 1967 fastback and i bought a painless wiring harness , easy to hook up just havent decided on what kind of fuel pump to go with

·
Registered
655 Posts
The fuel pump is from a 88ish F150 i just went to napa and got it, 5 years ago it was about 70$
its an exteranl pump, i mounted it right infront of the tank and then mounted a fuel filter right after that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gents, i am going the same direction, just would like to know what you think of the convertion? is it really worth it? what are the bottom line benefits?

thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
EFI convertion vs benefits of course.

i keep looking at my 302 2bbl and there is nothing wrong with it, starts like it should, perhaps i only need a better tranny for fuel efficiency?

regards

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well for startability the EFI wins hands down, the just starts as soon as i touch the key,
I have the T-5 in the car as well, and i get about 26mpg when i drive like a normal person ;)

It was alot of work to do it, i did it the hard way, i just took the entire wireing harness from an 88GT and put that in my car completly replaceing the original harness, it was a pain in the rear, but most of it, did line up fairly well, there was just a few things and had to lengthen.

But i love poppin the hood to show off the EFI. around here nobody has ever seen that kind of setup in a classic.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You'll also have to figure out how to route a fuel return line to the tank from the fuel rail. If money is tight, go with the carb.

·
Registered
97 Posts
you can use the existing feed line as the return line. If your able to keep the serpentine set up I would along with the water pump that is on there and just change out the radiator. A fox body radiator will fit in the 67-68 engine bay if your on a budget.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

i installed a 331 stroker efi also in my 67 fastback. I converted to tko 5 speed too. The fuel delivery was a little tricky without a sumped tank. I took a 1 quart catch tank and fill it with a high volume facet pump and shoot the fuel with a 255 l/h bosch pump to the injectors. 6 an fuel line to the engine and 6 an back.
No problems with the engine high under the hood. I use additionally a 3/4 inch spacer between the lower and the upper gt40 intake.
I build a custom cold air intake and use a fox radiator with two big fans.

Markus

engine bay

facet high volume pump

high pressure and high volume pump

k&n filter connector

custom cold air intake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.