Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Now Ive recently found out that at my grandparents house there is a 5.0l in the basement. The motor is out of an early to mid 80's Mercury Capri RS, I think. Now I have a stock '98 V6 and I was wondering what it would take to frop the 5.0 in my car. Assuming that the engine is probably seized from sitting so long (not 100% sure it is though), can any of you give me a rough idea on how much it would cost to get the motor running and in the car? Also it would be nice if you could give me a list of things I would need to drop the motor in (K-Member etc..).

Thanks for any help I recieve!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
There are dozens of threads on this topic and I can say you would be wasting your time and money with an old 5.0 like that. If you gotta have a V8 then either sell your car and buy a V8 car or buy a wrecked V8 car because you will basically need just about everything to do the swap properly. Early/mid 80's 5.0 blocks/cranks were weak on their best day.

·
Banned
1,497 Posts
I think it will be cheaper to mod that car, also I think the 80 has a 4.2l with 119hp so is not worth it your car has 150hp.
What I suggest is to do the split port on that one you can expect 40hp aprox.. or get a 98GT with 225hp..:D Oh you're talking about a 5.0 caprice... never mind..:nogrinner

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Why would you want that engine? To swap that engine into your car would be a nitemare that you don't sound prepared to deal with. Stick with the 6 or buy a car with a V8 already in it. Generally the only way that an engine swap is worth it is if you are doing all the work yourself and the new engine has much more power than your current engine, which the stock 5.0 does not... Basically, for the money spent on the swap you could have your car sitting faster than it would be with the 5.0 in it. I am not that big a fan of the 5.0's...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys lol. I guess I'll ditch that idea haha. My buddies actually parting out his 99 V6, it has tons of miles on it though. Do you think with all those miles it's worth taking the split port out? And how easy is it to switch the ports?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
The swap is not too bad, you'll need all the gaskets from the heads up, new fuel pump, and need to get it tuned properly. You need everything up from the heads too. Sensors, fuel rail, etc.......

Can you do me a favor and please change the swearing in your sig, or just add mofo? We are trying to keep this site clean, and I think mofo will get the same message across...... Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.