Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend bought a 1989 5.0 mustang, he wants to race my 2007 V6, i know i really dont stand a chance.. we both do, he just an ass. i just want to how badly im gonna loose. i know the factory hp rating isnt to far off, but his torque is through the roof, i have a 91 octane tune on mine (cant buy 93 gas where i am) and a k&n drop in filter, thats it. hes bone stock.

what do you guys think, whats take off, mid run, and final run gonna be like. were gonna do a drag on a 1/4 mile, and then 0-60.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I believe the 89 is rated somewhere around 6.2 sec 0-60, and 14.8 in the quarter. Of course, there are lots of other variables that may affect those.

Race him and let us know how it goes, I think it might be closer than you expect...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well he has about 225 HP with 300FT/LB of torque and you have 210 HP and 240 Torque. He runs about a 14.8 and you run about a 15.3. And he is lighter than you. So you might keep up for a bit but you won't stand a chance.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The cars as described are actually a pretty good match, IF you loose, it won't be by much. Who knows, you might just get bragging rights if you drive it well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
the 5.0's make their torque at more lower RPM range than the other mustangs and the newer ones make their torque at higher RPM's so provided his 5.0 isnt a peice of junk your probably not gunna beat him off the line. even with that your V6's top end wont be enough to catch up he may not blow you out of the water. but your chances of winning are slim. im 17 and drive an 02' V6 with an intake and exhaust and a good buddy of mine has a foxbody 5.0 and i wouldnt dare to race him id gettin my stuff handed to me. but hey race him for the fun of it and see what happens worst comes to worst at least you can say you got beat by a fellow mustang and not a ricer or something. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Best guess would be (too many variables to say for sure, so just a guess) he would be mid 14 range and you would be low 15 range. Drivers beign equal he sould win, but at least you aren't driving a ricer!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is an upside, atleast its to a mustang. and were both about the same at driving, their both auto's also, so not as much skill involved, just have to remember the o/d swich.

and for the record.. v6 mustang owns ricers, beat honda civic that was decked out in decals and had the giant wing, stereotipical ricer car. and a dodge neon sport, he gave me the finger after i beat him :gringreen

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
How many miles does it have. Some of those old Fox's aren't in the best of shape. lol Just race him and see what happens. It can't be too bad. lol

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
my 07 v6 is stock, but i swear mine is a factory freak, im not sure, but i think the rated 0-60 time for an 07 v6 is like 7.0 seconds, mine is more like mid 6's. dont know if thats just me getting a good launch or what, but if yours is anywhere close to mine, with a CAI/tune, the race should be a LOT closer than you think. good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Keep us posted. I don't think you will win but like the others said it may be closer than you think.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
kudo's for settling it on the track

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
From my experience with new 5.0 Mustang owners, its that they CANT DRIVE. I've seen countless Honda's take out 5.0L's because they fry the tires all the way through 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. Most the time the motor's are worn out because they haven't been taken care of properly, and the power that they do have goes to one tire because the trak-lok is so worn out.

Get your driving down and forget about him, you may be able to throw a stocker 5.0 under your belt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Race him. It all comes down to the driver in the end anyways. And look at it this way, if he beats you then you look at him and say good job you beat a V6 with a V8, wow :so. But if you win, you get to say you beat his V8 with a V6 :bigthumbsup. Sweet justice! Balls out buddy go et him.

Mike

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Race him. It all comes down to the driver in the end anyways. And look at it this way, if he beats you then you look at him and say good job you beat a V6 with a V8, wow :so. But if you win, you get to say you beat his V8 with a V6 :bigthumbsup. Sweet justice! Balls out buddy go eat him.

Mike
right on! its more fun being the underdog :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
72 Posts
ya, go for it man. i have a 1996 v6 with a Stainless Steel CAI and performance plugs and wires(NGK). The previous owner did a little motor work to it and i have raced AND beaten 3 GTs, as well as a Firebird(non formula). Its really not about winning or losing, its about having fun, showing off what you have, and being a good sport/driver either way. Good luck man.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Even if he's stock its going to be close. With the same driver in both, he's got you.

However, my 4.0 has beaten my buddies '98 4.6l stock for stock several times.

And you'd be surprised what the 4.0 can do after a few mods. :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
well im a new 5.0 owner and i spin some in first and grab second hard no chirp or spin

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I've raced 5.0's with my heavier convertible and won a few times. Depends heavily on the drivers skills since the power difference isn't that big.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.