Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2.3L Mustang LX convertible. I am dropping a 5.0L in there this summer. Now the style of racing i like is drag racing. I have been asking around for a couple of years and I have not gotten a straight answer. Which is better? Twin-Turbo or a Super Charger? Here's the catch. I want my car to be able to do the 1/4 mile as fast a possible. I found a Super charger calculator online. Running a stock 302 with factory HP with 108 octane, 20 psi supercharger and a 3 core intercooler. I would be pumping around 500 Hp (in theory). Now with performance upgrades to the engine alone bring the engine to an est. 435 HP with the same octane, boost and cooler setup...I pump our around 975 HP. That's without a cold air intake and NOS system. Which I figure (a guess) an easy 1000+ HP. All in theory. Now i don't know what the turbo can get me at. Between the Turbocharger and supercharger... Which will get me to do the 1/4 mile the fastest? All input is welcome. Thanks :bigthumbsup.

P.S. I am also trying to find a body kit for the same car that won't make it look stupid/ridiculous/ retarded/ etc. Any links or suggestions welcome also. Thank you. :bigthumbsup

The link i used was http://www.superchargersonline.com/hp_calculator.asp

·
Registered
113 Posts
that 20 psi SC will give you 300 hp? just saying the stock 302 maybe has 190-210 hp

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would beef up the short block with forged rods and dished pistons before boosting the engine. I would think a turbo would make lots of power and put less strain in the engine because it doesn't run a drive belt. Then again I'd like to see a killer 2.3 boosted and nitroed out pounding the quarter mile with 600 horses!!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Please don't use a stock block, or stock anything, heck using a stock Mustang shell is pushing it.

And be prepared for a LOT of chassis work to handle that much theoretical power, and a LOT of work into making it NHRA certifiable to run the times that much power would support.

I pump our around 975 HP. That's without a cold air intake and NOS system.
I think with that build you're beyond needing a CAI.

Plan on setting aside $50k+. And that's for a budget oriented build.

Not to be a downer, but in theory this is a fun, simple build, but in reality, you're looking a using basically none of a stock Mustang.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And this is me being a novice in terms of "tech speak" but... what is a CAI? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Cold Air intake.

For a novice, I would recommend starting with a 300hp-ish GT40P build or maybe a Trick Flow top end. Do that and subframe connectors with new gears in the rear end and you'll have a fun low 13 second car.

If you want to run over 400hp, you need to be experienced and know how to do everything right. Otherwise the time and money spent will be a waste. And like I said to build a fox with around 1000hp, you really need to know what you're doing and be willing to shell out over $50K to come anywhere close to doing it right.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Spend time on this forum just searching and reading old posts and you will get many of the answers you are looking for. In that time also start saving money as there is no simple way to get all that hp you want. After you get that hp then you will need chassis and suspension mods to put it to the ground. Good Luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am dropping the 5.0L in this summer...I am slowly going to work my way up...I am dropping the engine with an actual mechanic who does engine rebuilds and a lot of other car work. He is in his mid 40's...that's a guess and he has been doing mechanic work for 20+ years. We will be getting the 5.0L in whatever condition it is in when we get it and finishing it off. (it's been years since he contacted the man with the 5.0L block we are getting) If it is finished we are just dropping it in and doing any other mods to get the car functioning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.