Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,installed new BBk headers sunday no time to work on car tell next week.I noticed after every thing was bolted in BBk headers to bbk off h-pipe and made sure everythings tight,i start car and heard this light tapping noise which sounds like its coming from values area not sure.Maybe didnt tight h- pipe tight enough to headers could be leaking?What does a leaking exhuast sound like from headers?The noise iam hearing is a very light tapping sound at idle and then u can still here it up tell about 3k rpm then its not noticeable.Thx for help if any.Used evrything from kit of headers to install.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
EOMAK said:
Hi,installed new BBk headers sunday no time to work on car tell next week.I noticed after every thing was bolted in BBk headers to bbk off h-pipe and made sure everythings tight,i start car and heard this light tapping noise which sounds like its coming from values area not sure.Maybe didnt tight h- pipe tight enough to headers could be leaking?What does a leaking exhuast sound like from headers?The noise iam hearing is a very light tapping sound at idle and then u can still here it up tell about 3k rpm then its not noticeable.Thx for help if any.Used evrything from kit of headers to install.
Recheck all your bolts, it could be a leak. If it's a "snapping" sound, and you feel a miss, it could be a plug wire arcing. Leaks are lower pitched than arcs.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Sounds like an exhaust leak. Did you sand down the surface of the heads before you put the headers on?

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you look at my topc entitled "Click Noise : All the Time", I just discovered that I had the same exact problem.

Do what I did. Start you car, get her warm, then turn her off and walk away for about an hour. Come back, crank her over. Reach your finger around the back of the headers where they connect to the block and feel for exhaust coming out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The thing to remember when suspecting an exhaust leak is that exhaust leak noise is load-dependent.

If it's loud when you're heavy on the gas, and a lot quieter or non-existent when you're just coasting along at 2k or 3k RPM, then an exhaust leak seems likely.

If it doesn't follow that pattern, then I would suspect something else.

FWIW, the gaskets that came with my BBK headers were crap. They both started leaking pretty quick. Got some different ones that looked a bit thicker and they've been good.

Also, my header bolts like to work themselves loose a lot. It's good to check on 'em periodically. Loctite helps too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you can not tighten the bolts to make the leak stop.
Take it off and check your gasket.

If it looks good you might have a small hole in the header.

I have a set of bbk on mine and that was the problem.

A buddy at a muffler shop welded it up for free.

I used a ceramic gasket and have not had a problem for over 35k miles or six years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.