Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im starting my build soon:bigthumbsup. i wana get the 2007 to 2009 5.4L iron block that are in the cobras.looking at the modmax h beam rods. up 800hp. ford raceing cobra jet forged ccrank shaft. modmax 17cc dish pistons. all of that comes to 2195$ . i wana hear what you guys think about this build and the internals i picked. thanks guys:gringreen

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Is this gonna be NA or forced induction?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I'd get an "aluminator or Teksid" aluminum 4.6 block, add a forged/stroker 5.0 kit and then whatever else you have planned

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i found a FORD RACING SVT 5.4L ALUMINUM BLOCK for 2100$. but i was wondering why is the iron block not good .and its alot cheaper to?.. if i can make tis motor prouduce 500+ to the wheels N/A then thats what i will do. if not then f/I .. would i be able to make that with this motor N/A.. thanks guys :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
What are your goals? 3V heads, 4V heads?Id talk to a good engine builder about a 5.4 NA build. It may not be the best choice. Blown, well we know how good the GT500s are. I cant find the thread but someone was saying a 5.4 NA build would not make as much high end horsepower as a 4.6 mod for mod but would make ALOT more torque down low. The thread was well above me being able to chime in so hopefully someone will read this and explain if a 5.4 NA is a good choice.
I may be wrong but I dont see a NA 5.4 3v making 500rwhp.
Im sure one of our smarter memebrs will chime in and school us.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
And you build with the proper pistons depending on N/A or F/I. You really cant pick both. And if all you want is 500 hp why not just put a blower on a 4.6 and save about 5 thousand bucks. And you wont get 500+ N/A unless nitrous falls under that catagory to you.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Agree with both jaja and muckerpuck - 500 streetable hp out of a N/A 5.4 ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Agree with both jaja and muckerpuck - 500 streetable hp out of a N/A 5.4 ain't gonna happen.
Me too.

500 out of a na 5.4 would require serious mods, and would likely drive like crap. Lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 5.4 cast iorn block will hold the HP you want and then some I have this set up with 2 additional 150 shots of NOS. I have 5k mi. on this motor with no regrets

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
warp 7. what do you have done to your 5.4L motor. if i can take my 3v heads off and put them on the 5.4 block.then it will be a 3v. i dont under stand why a 5.4L wouldent be able to make that power with heads, cams ,exhust, inatke,EWP,good tune,.. but if it can and i do just strap a blower on.what else will i have to worry about?. like mounting bolts or trany bolting up.or the computer. any info will help out . thanks guys for your knowledge:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a short list of what I have done
Ford Racing 4.5/4.6 cast iron block, designed for busted applications,
J.E. pistons, CNC stage ll heads,
CNC stage III ported heads, Comp cams 127450 aggressive,
2,500 rpm stall converter, level 10 transmission, TCI ratchet shifter,
Diablo sport timer, tuned by Shelby American Las Vegas NV,
62mm billet throttle body, Ford high volume fuel rails, 150 wet shot nitrous,
C&L intake manifold, Duel Ford high volume fuel pumps, 65lb fuel injectors,
JBA long tube headers, Borla 3” mega flow x pipes & S exhaust,
Fluidine 4 core high volume radiator, killer glass connector hose,
Procharger DSC1 super charger (12.5 lb boost) 1-3/4” pulley
Custom 200amp alternator Autolite platinum race plugs,
Coast Driveline one piece driveshaft

Body & suspension

Custom 3” cowl induction hood, custom paint (next generation scene),
Billet under hood dress up, optima battery relocate kit,
06 street scene body kit with side & rear louvers, mirror covers, shorty antenna,
Carbon fiber interior dash & custom leather trim.
Red chrome work and custom paint by owner, trek paint by Paint Masters
20” x8” front with Nitto 555’s & 20”x10” rear with Nitto 505’s back,
SSBC brakes 12” front & 14” back
Granatelli upper and lower control arms
Ford racing 8-8 rear end, with 3/73 gears

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
If you get the 5.4 block you will need a new trans. There is a take-out 5.4 block on ebay right now with trans, blower ect for $13k as the starting bid.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The aluminum block is good to 2000 hp.

Either way the OP needs to decide if he wants to go n/a or f/i.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so then useing the 5.4L iron block in my 07 gt would be fine then:?:.also where did you find an intake manfold. can i use my 3v heads with the iron block:?:. what would the most hp be if i went n/a

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
so then useing the 5.4L iron block in my 07 gt would be fine then:?:.also where did you find an intake manfold. can i use my 3v heads with the iron block:?:. what would the most hp be if i went n/a
You cannot use 3V heads from a 4.6 on a 5.4 block due to the different deck heights.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
OP I could not find the post that said it was a bad idea. I found something you will like! S197 Forum has a member who did a 5.4 3v NA build. He had ported heads, aftermarket cams and a JPC custom intake manifold. He made 421rwhp and 385 rwtq?. I dont know why the torque is so low but they sound like good numbers to me. here is a link to the thread.
WWW.S197FORUM.COM
To view this forum you must be a member so sign up its free. I would PM the OP of the thread and Im sure he can answer any question you have on the swap. He has gotten his car into the 10's since.
The thread I couldnt find saying a 5.4 3V was a bad idea was also saying that NA at the time there were no intake manifolds available except the truck ones. But since JPC can make you one that solves a problem. And the thread that said it was a bad idea was just internet arguing while this is a real person doing the actual swap and posting results. Id call up some good Mustang engine builders and talk to this Spyder guy. Some things to consider also are he is using ported heads, cams and a biggie E85. Hope this helps in some way.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts