Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the sticky on 5.0 tech on how to go about converting from 4 to 5 lug. So I found someone who has a complete conversion kit for $175 minus the rear axle. Here is his email:

Well, almost everything is new. The spindles are the only thing that was bought used. All the brake hardware (pads for the front, springs, cables, wheel cylinders, adjusters, and shoes for the rear) are parts master, the house brand for Baxters auto parts. I have reciepts for that stuff, but I would have to dig them out. The front calipers are reman from baxters. The front spindles are stock off a 5.0 car 87-93. The front rotors, bearings and seals are from a kit a got through late model restoration. The rear drums are from late model also. The only thing missing from the kit are the rear axles. I paid $400 for the kit through late model (but that was with axles), about $90 for the front calipers with pads, $60 for the spindles (because my car was a 4cyl, I needed new spindles) about $120 for all the rear brake hardware (including the new wheel cylinders), and i think about $60 for new e-brake cables. So in all I think all this stuff cost me a little over $700. The only thing needed to complete the kit is new axles, which can pulled from a ford ranger or bought new through just about anybody.

Does this sound like a deal for $175? Would I be able to fit some 18x9 Saleen Wheels on my stock-height 91 Fox with the above setup?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Its just a couple Lincoln Rotors you can snag at Autozone Cheap, they dont really improve braking and the wheel selection is extremely limited.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Going with 18's isn't a good idea on a 79-93 style, they're too much and will cause interference, even if all those parts would work.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Depending on what year models those wheels are made to fit (assuming '94-04), they probably won't fit the front rotors.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The bearing dust cap on the hubs of the SN95's are a lot shorter than the dust cap on the lincoln rotors. The SN95 wheels won't fit unless you leave the wheel center caps off or use a fairly thick wheel spacer.

R

·
0 Posts
I found two complete 5-lug conversions and was curious if this would allow me to run a wheel designed for an SN95 mustang with a 24mm offset? Can anyone lend me some help?

87-93 CONVERSION KIT, 5 LUG, SN95 COBRA STYLE FRONT BRAKES MUSTANG

87-93 DISK BRAKE CONVERSION, 5.0L 5 LUG FRONT & REAR, WITH SLOTTED & PLATED ROTORS MUSTANG
they both are decent kits.....

if you decide to go with one make sure what wheels you can use....

some of their kits will have a limit on available wheels that are compatible.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
You might want to do some salvage-yard searching in your area before laying down that kind of $$$ for a kit.

I bought my '91 with the five lug conversion, the Lincoln rotor front, unkown axles in the back. I'm currently going with the SN95 Cobra front brakes and a complete used rear from a 95 GT. I managed to find all required parts for under $800. I got the spindles from the junk-yard for $50 each, and the rear for $250.

A little elbow grease goes a long way...
before & after pics below.....

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Ford Racing Cobra R wheels for a Fox body are 17"x8" with a 15mm offset. You probably should stay in that range for best results on a Fox. Pay particular attention to backspacing as well as offset. The SN-95 wheels will set too far inboard and cause clearance problems. The Cobra R wheels from Ford Racing for a Fox have 5.15" backspacing. A stock 16"x7" wheel has 4.87" backspacing. Hope this helps out on wheel selection.

Greg B

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I did the conversion back in the '90's to a friends car and we used Ford Ranger hubs, (fit perfectly on stock spindle and used stock calipers) and ranger axles w/drums in rear. I know you have to use 1 side of the axles for the Mustang rear, meaning it'll take 2 Ranger rear ends to make 1 Mustang rear. ex: you'll need 2 left or right axles from a Ranger. Just measure them and you'll figure it out. I hope I explained that right. I just can't remember which side of the Ranger axles you need to use. This old horse doesn't remember that well anymore.

R

·
0 Posts
I did the conversion back in the '90's to a friends car and we used Ford Ranger hubs, (fit perfectly on stock spindle and used stock calipers) and ranger axles w/drums in rear. I know you have to use 1 side of the axles for the Mustang rear, meaning it'll take 2 Ranger rear ends to make 1 Mustang rear. ex: you'll need 2 left or right axles from a Ranger. Just measure them and you'll figure it out. I hope I explained that right. I just can't remember which side of the Ranger axles you need to use. This old horse doesn't remember that well anymore.

just to emblish the point Bill was making.....

To keep the stock rear wheel offset and drums, the '83-'92 Ranger/Bronco II Left (driver) side axle (29-5/32") from a 4cyl or 3.0L V-6 with the 7.5" rear end, or '86-'97 Aerostar RIGHT side axles (29-5/32") is what you want. They are the same rear axles, the center section is just on the opposite side when you compare the rear ends. The pumpkins are also off center unlike the Mustangs, so you will have to find two vehicles to pull axles from! You will need the drums from either of these vehicles also if you are staying with rear 9" drums. The 7.5 axle Rangers & Aerostars use 9" drums. These parts are direct 5 lug replacements for the stock 9" rear drums on the 79-93 Mustangs.
*Important: Don't get the axles and drums from a Ranger with the 4.0L engine, as they use 10" rear drums with a wider 8.8" axle (unless you want to convert to larger drums!). The 8.8 in the Explorer is 1" wider per side than the Ranger/Aerostars with the 7.5" axle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.