Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im doing it. Rear end is taken care of, sticking with drums. Why? Cause im not street racing at 160, drums have always stopped well enough for me when Im not out screwing around.

The fronts I have a question on.

I know about the high dollar options, and for me they arent an option.

I know about the sn95 option, and Im thinking about it.

The one I want to go with is using the rotor/hub assembley off 85-91 lincoln Mark VII. They have ABS and they come with the ABS ring on them already. What I want to know is do they stick out further than the 4 lug stock rotor? If so how much? Lets face it, as far as Im concerned, Ford sucks at using the available space in the wheel well anyway and I like the tires closer to being even with the outside of them.

Now, if YOU have tried this, let me know your thoughts.

Also, if you have any experience at trying to throw other 5 lug rotor/hub assemblies on, lets hear how they went. Have READ that some early 80's continentals will work also. Theres no parts stores around me that carry either in stock and they get really pissed at me when I special order just to walk in with a micrometer and caliper to take some measurements... ask me how I know that 1...:nono:

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Use the search engine IDK if those fit your stock spindle or not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats just it. I used the search function here, used yahoo, google and ask.com...

.... and thats why I posted. All kinds of info out there, a whole lot of it appears to be guessing and just repeating whats been read/said, so Im looking for someone who has tried it.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
The sn95 mustangs v6 and v8 will work you need the spindle rotor brakes etc. You will also need the ball joints for the 94-95. You can use the late 80's lincoln rotors but you will have to use a spacer to get the dust cap to fit or smash it in to get your center cap to fit.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i did stock 84 ranger rotors. cheap, easy and did the job! oh.. my car is a 79 Capri. i have the stuff for an SN-95 conversion, but i did not want to shell out all that cash yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it place the front of the rotor, where the studs come though, at the same place as the 4 luggers, or further out? if further out, about how much?

The reason the rotor assemblie swap seems so good to me is Im a tight ass, and bought my 4 tie rod ends, both ball joints and sway bar links all ready.. no refund. Yes, not a great reason to want it, but it works for my wallet..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did stock 84 ranger rotors. cheap, easy and did the job! oh.. my car is a 79 Capri. i have the stuff for an SN-95 conversion, but i did not want to shell out all that cash yet.
I read that will only work up to 86 though and that the spindles had changed in 87? It was either on here or modded mustangs, cant remember, been reading all kinds of stuff everywhere for several days now.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The Lincoln rotors work with the '87-93 5.0L cars with the 11" front brakes. The ranger rotors will work on the '79-86 cars and '87-93 4cyl cars with the 10" front brakes.

Retro, the SN95 spindles with work with your new balljoints and tie rods. Only thing you'll have to do is stack up some washers or make a spacer to go under the balljoint nut so the cotter pin engages the castles. Needs to be about 3/8" thick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.