Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Mustang GT. I have recently replaced the clutch and transmission with stock parts to stay on the cheap side of things, it was kind of an emergency... but anyway, My problem now is that when the car is cold, the clutch engages fine with no problems. After I run the car for a bit it gets harder and harder and takes more pedal travel to engage the clutch. I've heard everything from a heat soaked clutch cable to a bad stock quadrant. I'm thinking more along the lines of a throwout bearing but I've never had this problem before so I'm unsure. The pedal feels as though the cable hangs about halfway down and it doesnt matter how hard I shove, it does not engage. Please help me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does your cable have an adjustment nut at the clutch fork on the side of the bellhousing, it seems as if you need to adjust it to fix your problem.
No It does not. I'ts the stock cable. but as I said before. I'ts fine for a while. but as it gets hot, it starts "hanging" and it will not engage, nor can i get the pedal all the way to the floor. I have actually broke a quadrant adjuster into pieces because of the pressure I was putting on it. This is why I was thinking it was the throwout bearing being marred and is hanging up on the shaft causing it to not release and engage the clutch properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think your right.It's probably a bir or something on the shaft and it's binding.
lol as much as I know thats probably what it is. I really hated reading that you agree with me :yakyak: lol ohhh well I guess. I can get a stock bearing for 8 bucks at autozone for now I guess. GRRR I gotta make a call to maximummotorpsorts to get the good stuff =D Would you suggest replacing the shaft? or would i be able to pluck off that knick and smooth it out?

·
Registered
615 Posts
It might even be just built up dust and crap.But if there is a bur you should be able to just use emery cloth to take it off.Just make sure you don't make the shaft out of round.Give the whole shaft a good polish and cleaning and you should be good.But yea it sucks that your trans has to come out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

Thanks man, I was kinda thinking I could just clean it up. I called several shops around town and I've found that its going to take allot of legwork but I can get it cleaned up and possibly machined if i have to without buying a new shaft and going though all that hassle.

I appreciate the input!!!

Tim :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Based on what you've posted so far, I highly doubt it is a bur on the retainer or anything to do with the throw out bearing. :scratchchin

It does, however, sound very much like a heat soaked clutch cable that is in need of replacing. If it is fine when the engine is cold but acts up when it gets to normal operating temp., that instantly rules out a burr on the retainer. The burr wouldn't know if the car is hot or cold, it would act up all the time and most likely, after a few times of the throw out bearing rubbing over it (the burr), it would smooth itself out.
A worn out, heat soaked cable on the other hand, would act fine when everything is cold and act up when the motor was up to operating temp. The bas news is unless you address it, you run the risk of the cable breaking and leaving you stranded in whatever gear you happen to be in at the time and most likely, stuck on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck. :scratchchin

Based on what you told us so far, I would immediately replace the cable and see if that does it first, before I tried removing the transmission. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.