Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All, I recently bought my son a '66 Coupe with an inline 6 (200 CI) and we are in the process of rebuilding the engine and replacing the four lug drum brakes with 5 lug disc brakes. I bought a set for my five lug disc brakes for my '66, 289 Convertible. Could I use those brakes without replacing the entire suspension? ALSO..... can I replace the rear end axles with 5 lug axels or do I have to replace the entire rear end. We are keeping the inline six, but he wants the five lug wheels and his Mom and I want him to have disc brakes. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The front you gotta replace the spindles to get 5 lug.The rear you might get away with axles only but price a 8 inch for a 64-66 you can get one around 300 bucks or less.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
if you have not already bought the front disk conversion here is a set that comes preassembled on new spindles to make it easy.http://www.currieenterprises.com/

as far as replacing the rear axles with 5 lug I can't help much but currie enterprises is the ford rear axle authority you might try calling them and see if they offer a set of 7.5 rear axles they can drill them out to any lug pattern you want. it may also be possible to have your stock axles redrilled. but I think the 8 inch conversion is probably your best bet. the rest of the suspension will not necessarily need replacing. also keep in mind that 4 wheel disk brakes without a powerbooster requires a fair amount of leg power to operate. you would probably be better off going with power brakes with the front disk conversion and keep the rear drums than to convert to 4 wheel manual disk brakes in my opinion. not to say that 4 wheel power disk brakes would be bad. I only mean that if you had to choose power front disks would be my preference over manual 4 wheel disks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts