Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ve had my mineral grey gt since friday and have about 250 miles on it so far. i havnt read any threads so far on a break in period. my 2002 spec v that i traded in had problems with the rings sealing and since i didnt realize this i had a oil burning problem.(a common problem with the 2002 spec v...the first year they were produced) ive babied my gt so far(havent even chirped the tires yet) but im ready to put the hammer down. thanks...by the way maybe its time to change my name to gtstangNOW

·
Registered
243 Posts
gtstangsoon said:
i ve had my mineral grey gt since friday and have about 250 miles on it so far. i havnt read any threads so far on a break in period. my 2002 spec v that i traded in had problems with the rings sealing and since i didnt realize this i had a oil burning problem.(a common problem with the 2002 spec v...the first year they were produced) ive babied my gt so far(havent even chirped the tires yet) but im ready to put the hammer down. thanks...by the way maybe its time to change my name to gtstangNOW
Check the manual, but I believe the standard break in is 1000 miles, meaing you should not drive for extended periods of time on the highway at the same speed until you pass that point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
LastOwnedA77 said:
Check the manual, but I believe the standard break in is 1000 miles, meaing you should not drive for extended periods of time on the highway at the same speed until you pass that point.
LastOwnedA77, it's good to see another ex-Mustang II owner still in the fold. My first Mustang was, as I guess you can tell from my "name," a 74 Mach I. Actually, the two most widely held myths about modern engines are "break in periods" and "oil changes." What was necessary in 1930 and probably advisable in 1960 is no longer needed due to advances in manufacturing, materials and lubrication technology. Take Porsche, for instance. They no longer suggest any break in period at all and they specify 15,000 miles between oil changes. Of course, you have to follow Ford's oil change schedule to keep your warranty in force, but the break in period is no longer necessary. (And remember, that the GT you buy with 36 miles on the clock has probably been run to the red line 10 times.) Of course, it won't hurt to baby your new car, and it's your money, so do whatever you want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 2005 Mustang owners manual says:

"Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during the first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation, since these additives may prevent piston ring seating."​
I don't mean to be picky, but am I the only one reading that to say different things?? It doesn't need a break-in, but you should vary speed to give moving parts a chance to break in. Mmmmkay... Then it goes on to mention the piston rings seating... Man, talk about sending mixed messages!​

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't believe you have to baby the car at first, but do vary the engine speed.

When I worked for mastercraft, I went on a couple of lake tests(very fun:green , especially on the 197. That thing can literally throw you out of the boat it can corner so hard.), and they run the hell out of the boats for about 7-8 minutes. They mainly did it to burn off this stuff they put on the seals, and that stuff did stink and smoke really bad. But they would run them up to the redline, and hold it several times. Then take as sharp of corners as possible at top end.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Best way to break in your new GT is to.... drive it hard! don't redline it, but definately give it the pedal. Try lots of takeoffs starting in second or third gear as well, and you might wanna do this on the interstate so you can wind the gears. After about 100 miles you WILL be broken in. Change the oil then, and again after 1000 miles then add your synthetic. Happy trails

·
Registered
41 Posts
buschris said:
Best way to break in your new GT is to.... drive it hard! don't redline it, but definately give it the pedal. Try lots of takeoffs starting in second or third gear as well, and you might wanna do this on the interstate so you can wind the gears. After about 100 miles you WILL be broken in. Change the oil then, and again after 1000 miles then add your synthetic. Happy trails
I had always heard that lugging an engine while breaking it in (oil preassure drops off sharply) was bad. I couldn't imagne starting off in third and not lugging the engine.

samckernan

·
Registered
95 Posts
well, maybe not third, but I did have it in third when I testdrove it for the first time. Darn, it did sort of feel weird trying to get going lol
actually it wasn't luggging to bad. try taking off in second it's not much different from first. Point is, if you put some pressure in that cylinder, it will press the rings against the cylinder harder and you'll get a more even wear-in. Just remember to warm the engine up for at least 5 minutes at IDLE before your first few critical trips. Try making those trips longer than a short run to the store or some city driving crap. Go somplace where you can really wind out the gears.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Best way to break in your new GT is to.... drive it hard!
If you knew a THING about metalurgy you would know you are wrong. Another old wives[mechanics!] tale put to rest.

No matter how carefully a motor is assembled there are ridges and valleys in the metal, There is NO WAY to eliminate them! Running a motor hard will harden those imperfections and result in greater clearance. A careful and buy the owner's manual breakin will wear down those imperfections and your motor will last much longer. :hihi:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts