Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 01 gt with and automatic and a sct tune car has 65000 original miles on it. car would light the tires up. then the plastic cross over cracked we took it to a local respectable repair shop. long story short they had to replace the head gaskets they milled the heads and rebuilt the short block. now when you get on it from a dead stop it is a dog has no power will not even attempt to spin the back tires still jerks a hard second and from a roll its not bad but not like it was. I thought maybe it was in the timing. i have taken it back several times they assure me the timing is dead on and can not find any issues with it. I am at the end of my rope and any idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

·
Registered
806 Posts
this is just a theory and it probaly isnt correct but here it goes, when you say milled did you mean port? if not then the milled heads shiould have uped the compression, which would actually net more power but only by 2-3% per point. wierd that you lost power down low, when they rebuilt the motor did they use oem parts or aftermarket?? need more info

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
How much were the heads milled? It's widely known that milling the heads with the timing configuration on the 4.6 equals crazy cam timing. I would bet that they installed the timing chains correctly, but the timing isn't correct anymore. The only way to verify this is to degree the cams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First Thanks very much for your time, I am really frustrated with this. I am an old school guy so with these computer cars I am like a fish out of water. they used oem parts and used the original cams. they did not port anything by milling I mean surfacing the heads they said they sent them to the machine shop and they said they needed it because it appeared they had been hot. they did say they had to cut them quite a bit but they did not tell me how much. so when they told me that i thought the same thing it would up the compression and would get a little horsepower gain but man when you get on it it doesnt miss or bang or anything like that but it is a dog off the line and then it comes alive.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Milling the heads also closes the distance between the cam and crank sprockets, which effects cam timing on these engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts