Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Kenne Bell 6 pound non-intercooled kit... only getting 5lbs of boost and the car really isn't that impressive... sure it pulls a little harder but not at all what I expected... Car pulls 20" of vac at idle and the driveability is perfect... fuel is 60lbs at boost...just doesn't hit like it should... Does anybody have some advice as to what I could check or look at to determine if I have a problem or if this is just what a 5lb GT feels like...

J

·
0 Posts
I guess improvements are all in the eye of the beholder. With 5 lbs. of boost you can expect (very very roughly) about a 30% hp / tq increase over the same engine in NA form (minus parasitic losses). So if you were making 200 at the rear wheels you're now at about 260. Which is enough of an increase to feel, but it's not going to blow the doors off.

As mentioned above, a tune could help you out quite a bit. As could an intercooler which would support more aggressive timing and higher boost levels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kenne Bell says not to let people mess with their tunes... would you still recommend taking it to a tuner?... That was the first thing I thought of doing because it's so tame... I did order a slightly smaller pulley to get in the 7-8 pound range...

·
Registered
292 Posts
^ Lol yeah more boost!!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was running between 7 & 8 lbs of boost when I first got mine. It felt great but it was intercooled and and change it to a 9-10 lbs pulley. Even aroud 8lbs street tires will be short lived. :gringreen

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
First off the retailer will tell you anything and I don't consider that right because if they give all kits the same tune how do they know what your mods are your injectors to MAF and everything else no car runs the same even another 2000 GT like yours with the same setup may make a few more or less hp I would take your car to a good tuner with a good rep and let them get the most out of the car or whatever it is you want. As far as going with an intercooler I would recommend it and most people on here that went supercharged and started out without an intercooler will tell you the same thing you can get more out of it with one. Take it to a tuner and try the different pulleys and see what they can get out of it till you are happy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taking you guys advice...Going to the tuner next week.... really bothers me that I was supposed to have 6lbs and I only hit 5... we'll see what the tuner gets out of it...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Just for a comparison I picked up 210+RW versus normally aspirated with 13lbs of Boost plus there's more power left, I maxed out my fuel system! And are you saying your running the stock ECU file with the KB?
If so get it to a tuner so they can check A/F among many other parameters!

·
Registered
277 Posts
my numbers, although intercooled should give you an idea where you will or should be at with 6lbs of boost..its all in the tune, a good dyno tune will likely wake it up quite a bit...

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
6lbs is paltry with a non intecooled KB, yeah, you will feel cheated, I know, I went down this road...now for the good/bad news, to "feel" it, you need about 10-12 lbs of boost, that does require new cold air intake (I have a JLT), injectors, fuel pump and mass air, not to mention custom dyno tuning, ( I needed a boost a spark as well) at that point you should have about 350rwhp and your wallet will be about $2000 lighter...ahh the price of fun, even when I had 350 it still didn't feel that fast, it wasn't until I tuned it for E85 and now have 412rwtq that I'm like "ok, that is how I imagined it should feel"
Of course this led to all kinds of other issues, like now your transmission, clutch and brakes need upgrading, so will your suspension if you haven't already, and of course everyone knows what I always say at this point so I wont' say it again.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
6lbs is paltry with a non intecooled KB, yeah, you will feel cheated, I know, I went down this road...now for the good/bad news, to "feel" it, you need about 10-12 lbs of boost, that does require new cold air intake (I have a JLT), injectors, fuel pump and mass air, not to mention custom dyno tuning, ( I needed a boost a spark as well) at that point you should have about 350rwhp and your wallet will be about $2000 lighter...ahh the price of fun, even when I had 350 it still didn't feel that fast, it wasn't until I tuned it for E85 and now have 412rwtq that I'm like "ok, that is how I imagined it should feel"
Of course this led to all kinds of other issues, like now your transmission, clutch and brakes need upgrading, so will your suspension if you haven't already, and of course everyone knows what I always say at this point so I wont' say it again.
Agree,i said screw it im not upgrading everything so i sold it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, I put the 8lb pulley on... now I have 9lbs of boost and the car is not longer a turd... pulls like a freight train especially in the 2 to 4k range... I am going to get a tune though and get it on the dyno... really want to make sure that I'm safe... I don't hear any knocks and am running good gas but you never know until you get on they dyno... 2Manystangs how did you get your JLT to fit on the 2.1? I heard that they would rub the shock tower... I was looking at these last night and would like to have one if they fit without getting an aftermarket throttle body... and Brutal, I'm running the chip that KB sent with the kit... are these chips pretty far off from what you've seen/heard?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If your running 9psi you should put in intercooler on,that's what kenne bell says.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would a conserative tune with less timing make an intercooler less of a concern? I don't drive the car very often and an intercooler is in the works this winter (along with a short block) but I don't want to bust up what I got now...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
As long as you don't floor it or race it hard it should be ok. I had the same kit as you and i ran at 9psi in hot weather and it did not like it to much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can see how they would heat soak pretty bad especially in hot weather...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You could do a meth kit like mr.freeze,that would get you more power to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does that work something like NOS?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts