Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 V6 mustang. It is manual. Everytime i try to put it into 5th gear it sounds like the gears are grinding and it gets a little burnin sound too. I just purchased it a month ago. What could be the reason for this and what should i do?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
BigDorin60 said:
I have a 2001 V6 mustang. It is manual. Everytime i try to put it into 5th gear it sounds like the gears are grinding and it gets a little burnin sound too. I just purchased it a month ago. What could be the reason for this and what should i do?
Clutch going out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only when I put it in 5th gear all the other gears are fine. My friend said my clutch was fine a couple of days ago, he said i might need to lube up the gear. Anyway its only 39,000 miles the clutch can't already be worn out.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
BigDorin60 said:
It's only when I put it in 5th gear all the other gears are fine. My friend said my clutch was fine a couple of days ago, he said i might need to lube up the gear. Anyway its only 39,000 miles the clutch can't already be worn out.
If you bought it used, you're at the mercy of whoever had it before you.

I had to replace the clutch in my Focus, as soon as I bought it (I put 3,000 miles on it) and it only had 24,000 miles on it when I bought it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've on put 1,000 on mine, but somebody was telling me that its the stick shitfter thats making the grinding sound now the gears, im going to tighten up all the bolts and see if there is a diff

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
syncronize??? or are we to late modle for that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what do you mean syncronize and modle what

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
basically is makes your tranmission work in conjunction with everythign else, clutch, tranny gears all that.does it happen all the time or only when your doing something specific.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
only grinds when hitting 5th gear and thats it but the sound comes from the shifter not the engine, would it be the loose bolt?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
doubtfull, could be a slipped gear

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
lcurle said:
doubtfull, could be a slipped gear
YEah, it has synchros, but the more likely culprit is just the clutch ..

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
BigDorin60 said:
I've on put 1,000 on mine, but somebody was telling me that its the stick shitfter thats making the grinding sound now the gears, im going to tighten up all the bolts and see if there is a diff
Someone told you wrong! Don't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing!!

If you misalign the shifter, you may have a whole mess of trouble!

Run it to the dealer or a tranny shop, get 2-3 estimates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.