Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't been posting but I get pissy when my car isn't working and when I'm pissy I don't like to post. But here's the update: I am retarded.

The first time I started the new engine it started RIGHT UP and ran for about 45 seconds. During the first 15 seconds it sounded great but over time (30 seconds)the engine ran more and more roughly and finally died and would never start again. I was stumped but I must say the Sniper community was very willing to help. Professional tuners, including the guys at Sniper were more than willing to look at my tunes to see what was wrong. Each one of the pros was very surprised the car wouldn't run right away.

The first thing you have to do when you build a Sniper Special Forces tune is load the stock tune into the Sniper device and then to your laptop/desktop computer. Well I did that just fine. But when they say load the stock tune they mean load the STOCK tune. I had the Kenne Bell tune loaded and thought the purpose for loading the stock tune was for backup purposes. In fact, the Sniper tune bases it's tune on the stock tune written for the car as it was brand new. So the Special Forces software thought it was looking at a 270 HP, natural aspiration, 24# fuel injector tune when in fact it was a Kenne Bell, 520 HP, 8 psi, 39# injector tune. I now have a TRUE STOCK 2005 GT tune emailed from Sniper. The next tune I build will be based on the proper tune.

Part 2: Tonight I took the plugs out to see if I could get any clue to what happened. I got a clue on first sight of the first plug I removed. It was nearly dripping with dark oily goo that smelled like gas, all 8 were the same. These are BRAND NEW PLUGS with 45 seconds running time on them. I knew it was gas and not oil because after a few minutes it turned from shiny wet to matte dry. The gas had evaporated.

Where I am at now: The oily plugs are out and I am leaving the cylinders exposed with open spark plug holes all night hoping any liquid gas in the cyliders evaporates. I went to the auto parts store to get some new plugs, of course they didn't have them, but they'll be in tomorrow. I'll install them, install a proper tune and try again tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
**** happens dude, just hang in there.

If you start to get discouraged, think of how far you've come thus far. Its simply amazing that you've done this all on your own.

Hang in there,

You'll get it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
**** happens dude, just hang in there.

If you start to get discouraged, think of how far you've come thus far. Its simply amazing that you've done this all on your own.

Hang in there,

You'll get it. :bigthumbsup

I get pissy, but not discouraged. Part of the pride in building the car myself is working through the problems.

·
Registered
41,828 Posts
Stuff does happen. You will get it all handled.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I get pissy, but not discouraged. Part of the pride in building the car is working through the problems.
ain't that the truth! built my Lemans, had enuf and bought the Firebird done! couldn't even imagine undertaking a project like this on a computer run car.

we wait patiently. and we should all feel a little guilt living vicariously thru u attempting to do something we wouldn't even imagine undertaking. don't feel preasure from us idiots to get it done.

your patience is your virtue....that and a heavy bag in the corner of the garage helps too!...good luck bro.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for reminding me its not as easy as I sometimes dream. I can't even wrap my head around all that goes into that. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. For the few seconds it was running it sounded AWESOME!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Best of luck.

I've enjoyed reading your threads. Nice work. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
571 Posts
get a vid next time!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
what size injectors do you plan to run for the final tuning 60's or any thing higher.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is the reason why I am scared of undertaking anything major in my car.

After spending a lot of time making everything perfect so nothing should go wrong, if something were to go wrong I just get pissy AND discouraged. I'm also the incredibly impatient type; waiting through a commercial alone drives me nuts.

Hopefully I'll grow out of it with age?

Good luck to you, man! Keep us posted!!

PS: I see you're from Snoqualmie. How did you enjoy the winter? I had a heckofa time. Had to have my car pushed out a good five times after sliding just a little to far to the left or right! The snow is STILL not finished melting over here in Pullman.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Blowing a big load of fuel through the cylinders may wash the oil from the cylinder/ pistons/ rings, leaving you with no lubrication for the next startup.

It may be a good idea to put a little light oil in the sparkplug holes before you put them back in. Disconnect the injectors and motor the engine over without the plugs for 10 secs. or so. Just a thought.

Frank

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I know you do not know me,but I am realy rooting for you.I wish you all the best.I just know you will get it.Take care and gods speed.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
This is the reason why I am scared of undertaking anything major in my car.

After spending a lot of time making everything perfect so nothing should go wrong, if something were to go wrong I just get pissy AND discouraged. I'm also the incredibly impatient type; waiting through a commercial alone drives me nuts.
That's sort of a cornerstone of Mustang ownership. We splurge on the car, without thinking.

We mod without doing more than comparison shopping.

Then we race in races that last less than 13 seconds.

Did you get snow down in Pullman? We got another two inches yesterday. I still have snow, in the parking lot behind the house that is higher than the fence.

Ridiculous. Whose idea was this?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The first thing you have to do when you build a Sniper Special Forces tune is load the stock tune into the Sniper device and then to your laptop/desktop computer. Well I did that just fine. But when they say load the stock tune they mean load the STOCK tune. I had the Kenne Bell tune loaded and thought the purpose for loading the stock tune was for backup purposes. In fact, the Sniper tune bases it's tune on the stock tune written for the car as it was brand new. So the Special Forces software thought it was looking at a 270 HP, natural aspiration, 24# fuel injector tune when in fact it was a Kenne Bell, 520 HP, 8 psi, 39# injector tune. I now have a TRUE STOCK 2005 GT tune emailed from Sniper. The next tune I build will be based on the proper tune.
I so recall a stlwagon quote from another thread: "It's all in the tune."

·
Registered
422 Posts
Edit: Oops, posted a response thinking I was in my own thread. Haha. But I see what you're getting at with that being the cornerstone of Mustang ownership.

And as far as the snow goes, we have been very off and on. It will be sunny and then start snowing without a moments notice. It's more annoying than winter was since it isn't consistent. Now and then I'll wake up with an inch of accumulation, but that won't make it past noon. Our backyard is still melting too. My dad shoveled off our roof into our backyard in January and it was deeper than I am tall (6' 2"!). We had to shovel out a canal for the water to run so it didn't flood the basement.

Not this summer, but next, I plan to move down to the desert when my family does and just bypass this whole winter kick the rest of the country seems to be in. I've lived in North Dakota and Kansas, so I can honestly say that I have had my fill of winter and that this past one was the final straw (70+ inches for the season instead of the usual 40..gross). Plus I had to drive my Mustang through it every one of those days...I was about to put a snow plow on (I would have posted some pics of THAT one :gringreen)

That's sort of a cornerstone of Mustang ownership. We splurge on the car, without thinking.

We mod without doing more than comparison shopping.

Then we race in races that last less than 13 seconds.

Did you get snow down in Pullman? We got another two inches yesterday. I still have snow, in the parking lot behind the house that is higher than the fence.

Ridiculous. Whose idea was this?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dan, why couldn't you just clean & reuse the same plugs?
Because I've had some issues trying to clean these HT plugs and they still didn't work well. I just want to eliminate any possible issue I can before starting up again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.