Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer put 5w20 in my 2012 shelby by accident and then supposedly drained it. They then told me they corrected it with 5w30. I corrected them that it should be 5w50. At that point they said oh that's what we used in it. Sorry we misspoke. So I do not know what is in it. I bought 5w50 and I am changing immediately. My questions is : they started it and drove around the parking lot and I drove it home about 20 miles . Would their be any damage occurred already ? Thanks

· Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red. Vortech Si-trim @ 9 psi.
431 Posts
The problems caused by using thinner oil than the engine was designed for show up in high oil temp / high load situations like road racing.
Unless your 20 mile drive home was through a mountain pass going WOT at every opportunity, you're likely fine.

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,404 Posts
The dealer put 5w20 in my 2012 shelby by accident and then supposedly drained it. They then told me they corrected it with 5w30. I corrected them that it should be 5w50. At that point they said oh that's what we used in it. Sorry we misspoke. So I do not know what is in it. I bought 5w50 and I am changing immediately. My questions is : they started it and drove around the parking lot and I drove it home about 20 miles . Would their be any damage occurred already ? Thanks
The others are right. It's nothing to worry about. Even if you ran the engine for thousands of miles it wouldn't damage anything unless you were racing the car for extended periods.
Your dealer definitely has both incompetent and dishonest people working there. Idk if the oil change guy just takes orders from the service manager or if he's supposed to check the recommended weight himself but clearly the manager lied to you at the end when he said that he "misspoke". There's likely 5w30 in it.
I went to 5/30 on purpose this past oil change from 5/50 in my Boss. No problems at all, not tracked. Never had the infamous ticking engine either with new oil that many complain of.
I noticed that my 2014 GT had the BBQ ignitor ticking sound when my car was brand new so that sound has nothing to do with oil changes despite those rumors. I remember asking my friend about the sound when I first bought the car and he thought it was direct injected. The sound comes and goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts