Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1967 mustang convertible with an inline 6 cylinder. I just found a 1967 mercury cougar with a 289 with only 48000 miles on it. the cougar was wrecked in the rear... but my goal is to convert the mustang to a v8, power steering, change the rear, etc this summer... using the cougar as the donor car. Has anyone done this before? anything to look out for? The cougar was in great shape before the wreck.. the only parts I can't use are the leaf springs and the radiator.

advice or thoughts?

Jer

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Welcome to the site. Lets see if we can get you an answer in this forum

·
Registered
208 Posts
Because Ford and Mercury are so closely related, it shouldn't be too difficult to complete the swap
Basically to convert to a V8 from an I-6 you have to swap out the front suspension. There are TONS of articles out there, in this forum and in magazines that detail how to do it. There are even kits to do the swap.
********B/C you have a nearly perfect Cougar (lucky), you will not have to get too many parts!!
I believe that the motor mounts, shocks, coil springs, tie rods, etc. will bolt directly on to your 'Stang from the Cougar, it would be best to go get some manuals, (Haynes, Chilton) for both cars and figure out the similar parts
The power steering could be iffy, was the Cougar powered??
If it was, it makes it easier, a lot easier
If not, it will cost you, but there are kits out there to do the swap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Cougar does have power steering, which should help a lot. Looks like I might have to also replace the brake lines, to keep them away from the exhuast and avoid vapor lock.. but until I pull the enginer, I am not real sure. I am hoping that the rear end will bolt right in (it changes the mustang to a 5 lug system) and that the front end won't take too much work. I am keeping it an automatic but will have to change out the bell housing. Does anyone know if I can still use the torque coverter I have or do I need to switch to the one in the cougar?

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Since there both 67s which is a odd year on parts but every suspension steering and drive line is the same easy to swap.If you want to be different you can use the cougar console which is the same thing Shelby used on the mustangs.Or even the dash too if you like the look of the cougar one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, the guy who sold me the car stipped it pretty good before I got it. I did get the complete drive train in what is left of the car, and got to hear it run. But most of the other parts were long gone. It does have a split bench seat which is kind of cool, but not something I would put in the convertible. I had a few hours of day light this evening so I pulled the radiator, disconnected the power steering pump from the car and took off the brackets that go from the shock towers to the fire wall. That was about as far as I got this evening. I am thinking about just cutting the front of the car out (the bumper, front end etc were already stripped).. so if I just cut what is left it will make it fairly easy to pull the engine and I won't have to disconnect the tranny until later. I can pull it out as one unit. The 289 motor has a 2 barrel carb (orginal manifold and carb). I would like to upgrade to a 4 barrel. What brands are recommend? what size carb? I am thinking of an eldebrock intake manifold with about a 650 cfm carb. Has anyone tried that set up? The engine was already converted to electronic ignition which is a blessing. I hate messing with points. I will also have the rebuilt 200 engine for sell soon. It has less than 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My only advice is DON"T cut up anything on the donor car unless you have to. If your luck runs like mine three weeks later there will be something you need and someone will tell you "you can get it off a '67 Cougar". Without fail it will be something you cut up. There is a lot of common parts in there besides the body panels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.