Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard would it be to install a 6sp manual in a 05 gt? this would be so cool considering 07 gt 500 will have this . alot of benefits here too. gas mi , higher end etc . how much to do this and do you peeps think this would be a good mod? your thoughts plz . thx vynle.:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, I think you'll need a new transmission for a 6spd manaul.

The first problem will be finding one that's compatible with an 05 GT.

The second problem will be the cost of the new transmission and everything else you'll need for the install.

The third problem (unless you're a trained mechanic) is the installation cost itself. I've done simply mods like CAI and axle-back but a full tranny install is beyond most people's competance levels :dunce:

I suspect (if it's even possible) that the costs will be $5000 or more - that's parts + labor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm waiting for the 07 Shelby my self. Once it's out, the swap will be a no brainer with factory parts.

I did the swap to a T56 on my 87 Monte Carlo SS. The Monte Carlo did not come from the factory with a manual trans since 78. So changing it from a auto to a manual, as well as hydraulic was time consuming. the rest is easy. The biggest concern is the placement/availibility of a cross member.

The only question right now is compatibility of the 3650 bell housing and the T56 bell housing. Or, the difference between the 4.6 and 5.4 bell housing bolt pattern. Being new to the ford game, I have not researched this yet. Getting more power comes first.

But I see this swap as a piece of cake.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A certain percentage of the population considers things such as tranny installs, engine rebuilds, and differential installs a "piece of cake".

But for most people, it is beyond them - me included :eyepoppin

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
This is whats needed for the T56 Swap..probably still not available for the general public, but it is already used in the FR500C Grand AM racer Mustangs:

- This is the only transmission package approved for Grand Am Cup racing in a 2005 Mustang. This package was developed by Ford Racing and Tremec Transmission for use in the Ford Racing
Mustang FR500C racecar.

M-7003-T56RP TRANSMISSION KIT
- This kit includes:
* M-7003-T56R 6 speed transmission with low helix 4615 steel alloy gears, one piece counter shaft, heavy duty pads, slip yoke configuration.
* M-5059-R transmission crossmember and urethane mount
* Production '05 throwout bearing which maintains hydralic clutch actuation

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
redbullet said:
I'm waiting for the 07 Shelby my self. Once it's out, the swap will be a no brainer with factory parts.

I did the swap to a T56 on my 87 Monte Carlo SS. The Monte Carlo did not come from the factory with a manual trans since 78. So changing it from a auto to a manual, as well as hydraulic was time consuming. the rest is easy. The biggest concern is the placement/availibility of a cross member.

The only question right now is compatibility of the 3650 bell housing and the T56 bell housing. Or, the difference between the 4.6 and 5.4 bell housing bolt pattern. Being new to the ford game, I have not researched this yet. Getting more power comes first.

But I see this swap as a piece of cake.
I am new to the Ford Game as well :cool:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I have been looking too... the swap is not too to bad but they're not avail yet. The Tremecs avail have the shifter around our back seat, lol, won't work... As mentioned above FR have them, so does Steeda, Rouch, Saleen, etc... it will be avail to us soon! They will however NOT be cheap... am guessing 3500 for a new one... so around 5K with install does sound like a possible number...!!

I'd do it to handle future mods, stronger for let's say +700 RWHP, and for double overdrive so I can put in 4-10's and still cruise the highway in the low 2000's...

·
Registered
332 Posts
GTRaptor said:
This is whats needed for the T56 Swap..probably still not available for the general public, but it is already used in the FR500C Grand AM racer Mustangs:

- This is the only transmission package approved for Grand Am Cup racing in a 2005 Mustang. This package was developed by Ford Racing and Tremec Transmission for use in the Ford Racing
Mustang FR500C racecar.

M-7003-T56RP TRANSMISSION KIT
- This kit includes:
* M-7003-T56R 6 speed transmission with low helix 4615 steel alloy gears, one piece counter shaft, heavy duty pads, slip yoke configuration.
* M-5059-R transmission crossmember and urethane mount
* Production '05 throwout bearing which maintains hydralic clutch actuation
That's good to know. But it doesn't address the driveshaft or bell housing issue. Unless they sell the trans w/the bell housing, and the stock drive shaft fits. That is way more trans strength than what i need.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i just got a t56 trans kit from d&d performance. it came with bellhousing, tranny, shifter, driveshaft, yoke, and speedo cable. my car is a 93 gt, if that helps at all, but if anyone wants to know how the install is, send me a pm and ill let you know as soon as i complete it

·
Registered
34 Posts
vynle said:
how hard would it be to install a 6sp manual in a 05 gt? this would be so cool considering 07 gt 500 will have this . alot of benefits here too. gas mi , higher end etc . how much to do this and do you peeps think this would be a good mod? your thoughts plz . thx vynle.:)
Here is one on ebay, starting bid is $375: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Ford-Mustang-GT-Tremec-5-speed-TR3650-Transmission_W0QQitemZ8007106261QQcategoryZ33733QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts