Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if its necessary to change your stub axles when your doing an inline 6 to V8 conversion? have asked many people and im getting some mixed messages?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi

Personally, if you were on a budget, and just didn't have the funds to install an 8" rear end at this time, I think you could live with the 7.5 rear for the time being. The car is very light and would be more likely to spin the tires. besides, when installing an 8" with a 5 lugs, then you'll be lead to changing out all your suspension and probably do a drum to disc conversion. but you will probably be having to upgrade your front springs for the additional weight of the 8 cylinder motor.

BTW, your car looks great, the 6 cylinder also looks great! Why are you wanting to go to an 8 cylinder?
dne'

·
Registered
527 Posts
I did the conversion years ago. For budget reasons I kept the 7.5 rear and it did fine. If you don't have enough traction for the tires to hook, the rear end won't break. If you don't have posi gears, you don't have enough traction for the tires to hook. I later, as I got the money, put in a 9" rear, new suspension, and a disk brake conversion all the way around to go 5 lug.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
If you drive like a old lady the 7.5 might last a while but it depends a lot on if it was taken care of and how much power the v8 makes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
am going with a 9" diff. What about the front? have been told the V8 stub axles limit your steering, only giving u half lock?? but the 6 are two weak? kinda confused because i cant see why ford would bring out a car with only half its potential steering cirlce!

Thanks Dne'. Im only 19 and in Australia (NSW) drivers under the age of 20 cant drive a V8 so im getting the car ready for when i can :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
alrighty then!

Okee dokee~ if you're going to install a 9" rear, then you may as well start looking for what you want to do with the front(switching from 4 lug to 5 lug, disc brakes, steering and suspension?). How much can you afford to do? What do you want to do? you could do steering with manual steering or factory power steering, or rack n pinion($). Disc brake conversion kits(power or manual brakes), Doing all this you may as well install new springs all the way around! Just to get you thinking!:bigthumbsup Do your research and see how close you can get to how much time and money it's going to cost you! Know exactly what you want before putting any money out:gringreen!
dne'

am going with a 9" diff. What about the front? have been told the V8 stub axles limit your steering, only giving u half lock?? but the 6 are two weak? kinda confused because i cant see why ford would bring out a car with only half its potential steering cirlce!

Thanks Dne'. Im only 19 and in Australia (NSW) drivers under the age of 20 cant drive a V8 so im getting the car ready for when i can :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so far this is what im thinking ill need/do . . .

front - will be converted to Discs (5 stud and boosted), new springs and will need new tie rod ends. Im pretty sure i can use the same stub axles and control arms tho.

rear - 9' diff (32spline axles, disc brakes), theres a local guy who can reset the springs making them stiffer or i can buy a new set for around AU$450.

what do use reckon? more ? less? anythen i've missed ?

Thanks andrewmp6, have actualy read that article. its a good site ey! especialy there C4 rebuild!

cheers. Im new to this so can use all the help i can get! :) :scratchchin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do the Granada front disk conversion. Easy and not so expensive. I bought from Welcome to CSRP. Good guy to deal with and decent parts.

A 8.8 from a Fox body will be a cheap and easy way to beef up the rearend. Are those available for you? What year is your car?

·
Registered
527 Posts
You may want to change your upper and lower control arms. It depends on if the ball joints have ever been changed before or not. They aren't very expensive, and worth doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not quite sure if they are available ey, will do some research tho. its a 66.
Do you reckon CSRP will post to Australia?

will check out the ball joints, thanks kev.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Or you could find a aus or nz mustang forum and see if any of the early fords you have there you can use to swap the spindles to disc brakes.Its a long shot but might work since you all early falcon is the same thing ours was.

·
Registered
236 Posts
you will need to change the front spindles........the six ones are weak& you will break them.don't try to be cheap with them.get some V8 ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
(ken) yeh so i've been told. think ill go with the V8 ones then, cheers.

(andrew) yeh im lookin for a V8 XP. fingers crossed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts