Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a aod 87 gt with the mods listed below, the fastest 60 foot time ive gotten is a 2.45 using a g-tech pro. i was wondering if this is a good time for the mods i have and if i can improve it any without going into the rear suspension. i always burnout from a stop a WOT, so ive tryed going half trottle for a bit and then gunning it so i dont burn out but then i get like 3's so any advice will be helpful thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
redhot87 said:
i have a aod 87 gt with the mods listed below, the fastest 60 foot time ive gotten is a 2.45 using a g-tech pro. i was wondering if this is a good time for the mods i have and if i can improve it any without going into the rear suspension. i always burnout from a stop a WOT, so ive tryed going half trottle for a bit and then gunning it so i dont burn out but then i get like 3's so any advice will be helpful thanks.
Don't know if it helps but I was getting 2.2's with my stock 87GT but was a 5 speed with 2.73's. Sounds like you need trans upgrade and gears. Spinning off the line isn't the best way to get a good 60".

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CRASH7772 said:
Don't know if it helps but I was getting 2.2's with my stock 87GT but was a 5 speed with 2.73's. Sounds like you need trans upgrade and gears. Spinning off the line isn't the best way to get a good 60".
lol ya i know but it seems almost as if i get a quick boost when my tires finally do hook up, and my times are always slower when i try not to. but thanks for the info, im thinkin i'll get 3.55's since this is my daily driver and id like to get the best gas milage possible. thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gears, SOLID lower control arms. TIRES.

DO NOT RUN SLICKS at the track.

You can run drag radials( nitto, bfg, etc)

ET STREETS if you have subframe connectors. A pure slick will destroy stuff.

If I was you. I would put that Gtech back on the shelf and go to the track and see.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quad Shocks? ... i dont know what your talking about. But i havent done anything to my suspension yet so maybe that answers your question. i am going to try to get to the track at california speedway this saturday to get some solid results. once i do that i should be able to calibrate my GTech to where it will be pretty accurate. but thanks for all of the advice. i think ill eventually get a maximum motorsports drag/street package. that should get me off the line a little faster. ill update when/if i get my real times.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The rear end has 4 shocks, 2 upright, and 2 sideways. Make sure your sideways(Quads) are in place on your car as a previous owner may have removed them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
1stPny said:
Gears, SOLID lower control arms. TIRES.

DO NOT RUN SLICKS at the track.

You can run drag radials( nitto, bfg, etc)

ET STREETS if you have subframe connectors. A pure slick will destroy stuff.
not true at all. its possible with a 5spd, but with an auto and a stock torque converter, if you break somethin leaving the line at 1700rpms then it was gonna break soon anyways. my opinion- BUY A TORQUE CONVERTER!!! if its your daily driver, get a lock up, if not, go with a non lock up, around 24-2600rpm if youve got a stock cam. i put a 2400 non lock up in my car and it took nearly a full sec off my times, not to mention 60ft in the 1.68-1.73 range leaving on slicks and the bottle (only a 100 shot, havent tried at the track with any more than that yet), and in the low 1.80s on the motor, with only 3.27 gears. if i were you, id go with a 2600 non lock up converter, 3.73 gears and ET streets (and maybe a lil nitrous:laughlitt ). those 3 things will put a HUGE smile on your face :happyhapp

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shakerhood said:
The rear end has 4 shocks, 2 upright, and 2 sideways. Make sure your sideways(Quads) are in place on your car as a previous owner may have removed them.
hmmm, i always thought it was only 2 shocks in the rear... what is the importance to the sideways shocks? does it give better handling or off the line traction? and can you find maybe a diagram i can look at to see what your talking about?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
redhot87 said:
hmmm, i always thought it was only 2 shocks in the rear... what is the importance to the sideways shocks? does it give better handling or off the line traction? and can you find maybe a diagram i can look at to see what your talking about?
The Quad shocks have been on all 8 Cylinder Stangs since 1986 if I remember correct. They stop fwd and aft jerking of the Axle housing thus preventing wheelhop and keeping your tires planted. At the very least, you should consider replacing them as our Fox cars are getting old now and they are pretty cheap for Motorcraft replacements. If you have a Mustang maintenance manual you should be able to find a picture, if not pull your back tire off and have a look. Also a little trick, if you put a little wider tire out back you can flip the Quads and gain a little tire clearance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I forgot he had auto. I removed my quad shocks and seem to not have a problem at all. i cut 1.8 60 foot on street tires. and 1.7 area on et streets.

GO to the track. Your 60 foot times will most likely be alittle better. As I personally hook better at the track than on the street.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
1stPny said:
I forgot he had auto. I removed my quad shocks and seem to not have a problem at all. i cut 1.8 60 foot on street tires. and 1.7 area on et streets.

GO to the track. Your 60 foot times will most likely be alittle better. As I personally hook better at the track than on the street.
You should check your 60 Ft. times with your Quads installed and then removed to see if your times improve with your Quads on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I 60 @ 1.51 I've got a lil info but Im still off on my own 60s

·
Banned
56 Posts
maybe you should unplug the gtech get a jack jack the car up and look up under the rear then you will see something, get dirty its ok wear gloves, dont be scared. 2.45 is slow the lower the time the better 60ft is important tells how fast your getting to that 60ft marker. Quad shocks take them off throw em away put some southsides on it or lakewoods when they put them on they eliminate the quads, get some springs up under it maybe with the air bag. when you put the traction bars on eventally expect the torque boxes to rip. thats where the front of the traction bar bolts in. from the torque it tends to do this. put some 50/50 lakewood shocks on it or adjustable ones. launch it hard. see if the 60foot drops good luck. only way your gonna learn it do the work or keep paying someone to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.