Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, me and my dad are having sum work done to our 64 1/2 mustang 289 convertible auto. we have the motor and trans pulled. motors gettin rebuild as we speak, we wanna put a T5 in it. does anyone have any idea what all i need to make it work? all info would be great. thanks

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
hi, me and my dad are having sum work done to our 64 1/2 mustang 289 convertible auto. we have the motor and trans pulled. motors gettin rebuild as we speak, we wanna put a T5 in it. does anyone have any idea what all i need to make it work? all info would be great. thanks
Hi,
I did a C4 to T5z conversion 2 years ago in my May built '64 5 bolt. I have a complete list of parts and P/Ns and the vendors, from which, I sourced. PM me with your email and I'll forward it all to you.

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yes, the 5-bolt bell housing needed for a pre-65 289 is a challenge for a T-5.

First, having a 289 in a 64 1/2 is a little uncommon. Most of them had the 260 in them like mine did. Be SURE that your block is indeed a pre 1965 with the 5-bolt bell housing. Someone could have swapped it with a newer engine. If so, you would have the 6-bolt bell housing and that opens up more options.

For a 5-bolt block you would need a 5-bolt bell housing and then use the T-5 adapter plate that is available at most Mustang parts houses.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi,
While this discussing is taking place, I'll throw in these. It's helpful when you're looking for a 5 bolt manual. Using the 5 bolt bell takes a whole layer of over fitment issues out of the equation when used with the adapter plate and you "will" need the adapter plate.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts