Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so me and my cousin are working on his mustang trying to get it back on the road asap.its a rebuilt motor with maybe 12 miles on it that was parked and has been sitting for 10 years. so far we have
replaced the ignition elecrical
wiring looms
changed all belts and hoses
changed the oil got it started.

we need to get some new tires so we can test the brakes and replace them. im probably going to machine the drums and rotors at school and just buy new pads and shoes.
the radiator is brand new but has sat for ten years as well. i can hot tank it at school to get the little bit of rust off of it. i want to get some seafoam and run it through the gas tank and carb to clean them out. any other suggestions on cleaning the fuel system? any helpor suggestions will be appriciated

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Hello 95blkcobra,
Several concerns regarding the car. I speak from experience of letting my ca sit 20 years.
The gas is almost certainly junk. I am surprised it started. There still could be trouble.
I would drain as much gas as possible and dispose of at school.
Then I would add 3 or 4 galls and slosh around tank. Then i would drain that as well. There could be tons of sediment in the tank like it was in mine.
I strongly suggest you run 1 or 2 filters. One before the fuel pump and the second after the fuel pump before the carb.
I assunme you are at a vocational school like I am and hope thwey can get you in.
I would take it slow and baby the motor for quite a bit until it has time to break in and get lubed properly. I would have suggested squirting each cyl with mystery oil in the beginning but if it is running it should be OK.

Take it slow with the car at first as you could have bad brake lines or other little troubles. The car needs time before you can really get on it.

Best of Luck....Print Dad - Voke Teacher

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the tank was drained and we filled it wil a few gallons of new gas a week or so ago. the car wont be driven very far or hard. it will be driven maybe 50 miles a week to and from work and probably not on the freeway until we are sure everything is running and working right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts