Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having issue with stalling a week ago; car would just fall on it's face during acceleration, but was also just running a little rough too. I had already purchased a new distributor with all internals and cap so I put it in. Ran much smoother, but still bogged down as soon as you added more throttle. I checked and replaced the fuel filter. I also replaced the fuel pump because I noticed it was blowing oil all over the oil filter. So, here I am, with new distributor, fuel filter, fuel pump, timed and she still bogs down at throttle up. There are no noticable vacuum leeks or fuel leaks. The accelerator pump appears to be squiting plenty of fuel, but I have not removed it to check the diaphram for pin holes. The car idles fine so the idle circuit appears to be okay. Could this be an issue with the medium and high demand circuits in the carb or have I overlooked something?

·
Registered
85 Posts
from the description, the carb may be squirting too much fuel which makes the engine bog down or stall

Have you had the carb apart to look in the float bowls, does the float bowl have too much fuel in it? Take a look at the jets to ensure they are not partially blocked. May be better off with a basic rebuild.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It may be a timing advance problem. Since it came on suddenly, I would suspect a vacuum advance canister that has a ruptured diaphram. This will not only affect the timing advance, but also give you a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem still exists. I have replaced distributor and all internals, added new plugs, wires and coil. removed, cleaned and rebuilt carb. re-timed and checked for every possible vacuum leak I can think of.
Motor still idles fine, but bogs down at throttle up. I am stumped!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.