Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a chronic problem with these cars. Here's what's going on. Have a new painless wiring harness, new steering column and turn switch harness. All fuses are good, new flasher. Headlights on I have tail lights, parking lights I have tail lights. Step on the brake no stop lights, Ign. switch on no directionals. I have the instrument panel disconnected. New 1157 bulbs. Does the instrument panel need to be connected to the harness for things to work? NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Check6, did you install PW part # 20120 and are using manual 90526? If so, in reference on p-32, any modifications to your steering column, i.e., flaming River or is it an original replacement? If your brake switch is working, (closes the circuit when you depress the brake pedal), it shouldn't matter which wire goes to either of the two prongs on the brake switch as long as they are good connections). But the wiring from the stoplight switch goes to the light switch, goes to the turn signal switch, and then straight via the wiring to your 1157 lamp sockets. As you probably already know, there are two elements inside the 1157 lamp. I believe the brighter element is for the "braking" illumination the smaller one is for lights-on/turn signal, something like that. As far as I can determine, both lead wires travel from the tail/brake/turn light to the steering column turn signal switch. To answer your question I would start by examining the brake switch and the two wires that connect to it, then to the Molex style(?) connector that connects to the steering column harness near the floor board. Is it possible that the wire to the steering column harness connector is in a wrong wire slot or not pushed in all the way to make contact? From there it goes to the turn signal switch. You have new turn signal harness switch. If its not in correctly, just enough out of wack, maybe the problem is there and you have more than one problem, i.e. signal and brake switch non-contacting. Sorry for the long winded reply. I am planning to put in a PW kit in my 65 also. And to me, this is where I am going to have to spend the most time, because I currently have a problem now between the steering harness/turn signal switch and horn in my original wiring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts