Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Today i discovered my battery was flat. I changed over the battery and i accidently connected negative wire to positive terminal and vise versa, for a period of a second or so. Now my alt and oil lights stay on, key or no key. Anyone have an idea?

I was not sure on the replacement battery and didnt use it in the end and left the flat battery in the car, but disconnected.

I didnt smell anything burn inside the car, so I am hoping I didnt fry anything.

Has anyone seen this before or have an idea if i could have done serious damage to electrical components.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Voltage regulator and alternator very possibly fried. Only thing s I can think of that might backfeed power with switch off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing i forgot to mention is that when i connect the battery I hear a click. Could this be the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yes, if it's the old mechanical style. Place one hand on the regulator and connect batt to see if you feel it click. While there could be wires shorted, I suspect one or more diodes in alternator are bad. It's been too long since I fooled with exactly how the circuitry works to prove my theory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys

Got my car fixed. Turns out diods in the alternator needs to be replaced and new voltage regulator (electronic style) and now we're back in action. Thank you to everyone who for your help once again.

Dean

ps: have my first ride in a Shelby today 68 GT500 Convertible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts