Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My 65 has developed an issue with the turn signals lately and I can't figure it out.

If your place the turn signal arm down for a left turn, the front signal flashes like it should but no left signal at the rear.

If you place the turn signal arm up for a right turn, the right front turn signal flashes as it should and both rear tail lights flash.

Any ideas would be helpful. I thought it was a ground issue but could it be a relay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sounds like the classic "Turn Signal Switch Failure". I've replaced mine twice in the past 20 years.

Since both flash at some point, the controller of the flashing must be at fault, hence my conclusion that it is the switch.

There are no relays involved in a stock signal circuit, just fyi.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You may want to check the wiring, since the front bulb is flashing properly it proves that both the turn signal switch and the flasher are working, you can either disconect the rear light socket and check it for power, or have a Ohm metter and check where you are losing the power that should feed the back turn signal, also check if your stoping lights are working because its the same bulb filament that works in both cases.

i hope this helps :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
This is one where you need to remove the lens, the turn signals use the heavier filament in the bulbs so you need to look at the bulbs and see which filament is lighting up, I suspect a bad ground on one of the bulbs, either a corroded bulb or socket, try wiggling the bulb while they on one to see if it fixes the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Once I consulted my wiring diagram, my memory of how the switch works was confirmed. The switch splits the turn signal voltage between the front and back inside the switch. Remember, the turn signal is just the brake light flashing. Since you said EVERYTHING else works, this must mean that the brake lights work, so the signal should work too. That is if the turn signal switch is functioning properly.

Also, the brake light circuit runs through the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help!! I have checked filaments, ground issues and what not but can't find the problem there so It must be the signal switch itself. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts