Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine needs starter fluid help to start after 2 or 3 days without running. Plugs, points, timing all OK. Fuel pump seems to be OK, although pressure not checked. Engine runs Ok and starts fine after first use of starting fluid, unless it sits for a couple of days. 289 with 1406 Edelbrock rebuilt with electric choke kit addition.

Sometimes when accelerating uphill like on freeway on-ramp, the engine will hesitate, then pick after a second or two. This maybe related to the hard start problem, but I thought I need to solve the hard start problem first.

Any thoughts wil be appreciated. Thanks

·
Hands
264 Posts
Engine needs starter fluid help to start after 2 or 3 days without running. Plugs, points, timing all OK. Fuel pump seems to be OK, although pressure not checked. Engine runs Ok and starts fine after first use of starting fluid, unless it sits for a couple of days. 289 with 1406 Edelbrock rebuilt with electric choke kit addition.

Sometimes when accelerating uphill like on freeway on-ramp, the engine will hesitate, then pick after a second or two. This maybe related to the hard start problem, but I thought I need to solve the hard start problem first.

Any thoughts wil be appreciated. Thanks
First, determine whether this is a carburetor problem, or fuel pump. If fuel pump is weak or inadequate, inside of carb looking downward will appear dry, not wet with fuel. Manually opening throttle plates will normally produce visible squirts of fuel. Keep in mind that the pump serves only to keep the carb fuel bowl full, the level in which is controlled by the float.

A clogged fuel filter can cause these symptoms. I assumed this had already been cleared.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I looked at the filter, but did not replace it. It looked OK, but I just bought a vacuum-pressure gauge and plan to measure the pressure.
I had pulled the gas feed off the carb and observed that it appeared to be squirting fuel vigorously while cranking the engine.
It seems like when the car sits for a few days, the gas somehow leaks out of the bowl. Is this a possible failure mode? Any idea how that could happen?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Fuel filters can't be judged to look ok or not look ok. They either allow free flow thru them or they don't. Even some restriction means you need to change it. Blow thru it. You should be able to blow thru with very little effort.
Assuming the fuel filter and pump test good then a carb rebuild sounds like it's in your future.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Carb rebuild already done. Only fuel filter is integral with pump. That's the one I looked at. I guess I should put a new one in there. I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb with automatic choke kit. The carb has an integral filter that was changed at rebuild.

I guess the pump filter is my next step.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts