Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can somebody give me some specs on a 665 mustang code A? its a 4V meaning 4 barrel carb?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes it is a 4 barrel carb premium fuel. Should also have gold air filter housing and valve covers. I know cause that what mine is. Just for the info the V stands for venturi

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so premium gas have to be used? i also heard something about a lead additive or octane booster?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 289s required over 90 octane. I want to say it was around 98 leaded octane, but my memory isn't that good. The heads need hardened valve seats to run unleaded or you have to use lead substitute. I used to put Outlaw octane booster in mine and noticed a difference.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so if its run with premium and an octane booster it should be good?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think the heads were rebuilt along with the engine in 1999.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok cool. well the cars stock but not for long, he has a better cam but im trying to talk him into a pp on the heads and a new carb. any carb suggestions?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Holley is the most common. I prefer the Autolite 4100 from Pony Carbs. They take the flat spots out of the performance curve when they rebuild them and the carbs are near maintenance free. They have a 480cfm and 600cfm. 480 is the standard 4v and the 600 is for HiPos. I have always run Autolites, maybe someone on here can give you suggestions on aftermarket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts