Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, please help. I am restoring a beautiful 65 mustang that has 50 years of previous owners splicing in every configuration imaginable. My wiring is a rats nest. I recently replaced the heater blower wiring harness. Car started right up before replacement, now will crank but not start. Due to all the additional splices and pigtails I had to navigate, I think I have misplaced a wire from the ignition coil to the distributor. I think no power to distributor to get the spark. Every wiring diagram I have found has 2 simple wires (not including the main wire to distributor cap) coming from ignition coil, one back to distributor, one to the starter relay. However the two wires from my coil are pigtailed into 3 wires. One goes to the ignition module ( I am assuming this one is routed back to distributor from what I can tell), but where do the other two go. I think one needs to go to the starter solenoid for power, but can it go straight to solenoid, or does it have tp go through ignition wire? And where does the other go?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did that and was able to figure out the wiring enough to get the car to start and run with that extra wire just hanging unconnected. Now my oil and temp gauges don't work. Figures:|

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you have stock point/condenser ignition, you should have a wire from the ignition switch to the + side of the coil and a wire from the - side of the coil to the points in the distributor. There should be wire from the "start" position on the switch to the starter solenoid. Here's the wiring diagram for a 1966. I hope this will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Travis. I did in fact figure that out to get the car running again, but there is still this pesky third wire coming from the ignition coil pigtail that I cannot figure out. I assume someone in the past 50 years has spliced in something I cannot trace. Gonna have a beer and think it over. I appreciate every ones help.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
The extra wire is probably for a tachometer or dwell meter. When performing an ignition tune, I would always use a hand held tach/ dwell meter. One connector went to ground and the other to the distributor side of the coil. This meant that I had to put a pigtail on the coil connector. After the 9th or 10th time making this temporary connection, some previous owner probably decided to make one that was permanent.

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Before we get to involved in fixing the wires, tell us what kind of ignition system you have. You made mention of an ignition module, that means electronic, not standard points.

You need to look at Veronica's blog for the ignition system, in the April 2008 folder. Also the cluster voltage regulator, August 2013 folder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts