Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 65 w/ 6 cly w/ the 3 speed manual tranny in it. I am looking for advice/ and parts to swap it over to the c4 auto for my son. Is this possible and can I find the parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why not keep it manual and teach your son to drive stick? Being a 16 year-old, I would rather have a manual in my car, especially a mustang, but that's only after I drove for 6 months.

·
Registered
682 Posts
put a wanted ad up on somplace like vintage-mustang.com I bet you could get a convertor, flywheel, starter, tranny X-member and good C4 for $300 or less. :D Nobody seems to want I6 parts. :D Then, you can sell off the clutch pedal on ehay and get a good bit of your $$ back. :D The manual brake pedal is also saleable if you can find an auto. pedal, but I'd be tempted to leave it.
HTH
Edit: I'd take stick anyday! :D

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.Welcome.:)The list of parts that you'll need isn't very long.You'll need to replace the flywheel with a flex plate, a starter, a bell housing, a torque converter , a transmission and a brake pedal.You'll also be needing a radiator with the fittings for the transmission cooling lines, if yours doesn't have them, along with said cooling lines.You'll need an automatic shifter.Also, the kick down linkage.The cheapest way to go would probably be to buy a hacked up old rust bucket 6cyl car with really ugly paint and a supremely ratty looking interior that has all of that already on it.Hope that helps.And again, welcome.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.