Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a factory correct restoration of a 65 coupe. On the top surface of the driver side rear apron is a data plate of sorts that is secured to the apron with a sheet metal screw. My question is, what is the correct finish for this plate? It is currently engine compartment black with probably a half dozen coats of paint, so I want to get it down to bare metal (which may be the correct finish for it) and get it back to correct condition.

Also, I have replaced the front apron on both sides of this car. As a result, I lost the VIN that was originally stamped into these aprons. What is available to get a correct reproduction of these stampings (including the star)? I feel that using a punch would be very difficult to get all of the characters accurately aligned to make it look right.

Can anyone give me the cutoff date for when the 1965 200ci engine went from black and red paint to Ford blue paint? If mine is supposed to be Ford blue, is the whole engine Ford blue including air cleaner or are the same components colored consistent with the components from a red and black engine as described in the Mustang Restoration book?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Ok, I can answer the first question and the third question.

For the first question, that tag is called the buck tag. It is finished in the same black colour as the engine bay.

The answer to the third question depends on what the scheduled build date on the door data tag.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts