Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put an 85 mustang 5.0 motor in my 65 mustang i have swapped the oil pan / pickup so now its a front sump but i need to have my dipstick in the front . so can i get a 65 289 timing cover with the hole already in it or do i have to drill a hole my self into the 85 timing cover ??? i really need some help on this. thanks to anyone who helps

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
What are you planning on using for a water pump, the old 289's and 302's used a forward (clockwise) rotation when viewing the front of the motor, and there was two different timing covers, one for alum wp and one for the cast iron wp. If your 85 motor has a serpentine drive, is the rotation of the wp clockwise or reversed, my 87 cougar 302 is reversed. You should be able to any of the timing covers, I fairly sure there are some bolt hole size differences in the older to newer blocks, but I don't know if the timing cover is different. Hopefully some of the other guys or gals have done this sway, and can give you more detailed info. Good Luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
you can use the one from the 289 with no problems,dip will be located in the front now and you will need to plug the oil dip-stick hole located on the side of the block for the 85'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.