Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 mustang with a 302 motor and it will start but die after a few seconds and it is smoking white out of only the right side exhaust. I change the coil, fuel pump, disturber cup, rotor button, points, plugs wires. I adjusted the points and the timing.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The white smoke out the right side is not a good sign. Check for vacuum lines off or broken, fuel to the carb, all the simple things. You may need to check compression on your right side cylinders and check for a blown head gasket. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
40,047 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I moved your thread for a better response.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 65 mustang with a 302 motor and it will start but die after a few seconds and it is smoking white out of only the right side exhaust. I change the coil, fuel pump, disturber cup, rotor button, points, plugs wires. I adjusted the points and the timing.
I am having a similar problem. I would suggest that you also bypass the ballast resistor if it is still hooked up. You want 12V to the coil not "resisted". I would also check the fuel filter...make sure you're pumping gas through the filter to the carb. For it to quit, it's not getting fuel or fire...eliminate the fuel potential first, then do like you're doing and replace 'fire' components...which is what I'm doing today.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do not run 12 volts direct to the coil you will burn it up. For a quick test would be ok but don't leave that way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts