Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have 65 289 that I want to convert to duals. I have the factory manifolds. I don't even think this was an option for my car. Something to do with not being K code and/or power booster brakes. I don't have the exhaust ported through the rear valance GT style. I also don't care for turn downs. I would like just straight chrome extensions to come out under the valance. I would like to put glass packs on it. I know the new magna flow and others are popular but I like glass packs. I know there are kits out there from most of the mustang places. But, some require the turn downs and most don't give you a lot of information. Has anybody installed any of these. Any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a cherry bomb on my '65 I6 that I like. My buddy has cherry bombs on his '65 289 that I plan on buying in the spring. It sounds great to me. He has dual exhaust coming off the factory exhaust manifolds that runs out throught he rear valance. He custom fabricated his exhaust. That seems to be the best thing to do if you want to do anything outside of a mail order prefab kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking mail order, but none I've seen have glass packs and I'm not sure about the extensions. It pains me to cut up my floor pans to hang this thing so I want to at least have good info going into it

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why would you have to cut up your floor pans? I installed a kit and there was no cutting required, everything fit perfectly. Is this how you want yours to come out of the rear?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the green!!! No I don't want to have to notch the valence. I want it to come straight out with no modifications. The exhaust hanger's screw into the floor pans. I guess "cut in" was a little dramatic :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For what its worth, i had duals put on this summer (i have the shipping hooks still on my car from the factory) he used them for the final rear hanger. Some sort of hanger - he removed the nut from shipping hanger and installed the hanger and then welded a small and about 6-8 inches long from that piece to the pipe.

He didn't have to drill one hole in my car!! I have pics. I will try to find them now. Also used the holes that were there (im not sure what they were for)

They are in in front of rear differential. He used them holes. They go thru behind the rear seat back - He used the U shaped thinge's that extend from the bottom of seat back on the very bottom of the back-piece of the rear seat. (holes are about about 2 inches from floor bottom and maybe 4-5 inches from middle of floor hump) He used them holes & hook thinges & bolted the hanger to the U things.

I was going to ask one day what them things that are on the rear seat piece were for...(the U shaped things on bottom of seat) so any answers would be great. I dont think he removed anything that was there before but why are them U shaped hooks and the holes there?

Thanx and sorry for babbling so long.

Edit - Here are a few pics showing the weird hangers. I never seen one like it but maybe im not up with the exhaust world! They are from both RH & LH side. One shows the main part - the silver square part with a rod going thru it (about the size of a pen/pencil) and them rods were welded to the rear of exhaust pipe. Drtivers Side_a_sm.JPG

Drivers Exhaust Pic_sm.JPG

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Not sure why the above pics turned out where they are....but it also forgot one. here it is. You can see the rod coming down and welded to tailpipe.

Another note....you are supposed to change brake lines if going from factory single to factory duals....(my new install wasn't a factory set up) but the pipe was close to the brake lines so he wrapped the pipe (about a foot or more) with a muffler gauze type stuff. I have checked the brake line several time's after driving and its not melted yet! :yup:

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
I love the green!!! No I don't want to have to notch the valence. I want it to come straight out with no modifications. The exhaust hanger's screw into the floor pans. I guess "cut in" was a little dramatic :)
The color is honey gold metallic, original color, cloudy day gives it a green tint but mostly gold. I didn't have to notch the valence but elected to do so, could have brought the extension below it. I used all of the original mounting holes, according to the 65 mustang manual, including the ones under the rear seat which had never been used because it was originally a single exhaust car. I did go the extra mile by replacing the brake line for piece of mind, call me crazy but I just want brakes.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have 65 289 that I want to convert to duals. I have the factory manifolds. I don't even think this was an option for my car. Something to do with not being K code and/or power booster brakes. I don't have the exhaust ported through the rear valance GT style. I also don't care for turn downs. I would like just straight chrome extensions to come out under the valance. I would like to put glass packs on it. I know the new magna flow and others are popular but I like glass packs. I know there are kits out there from most of the mustang places. But, some require the turn downs and most don't give you a lot of information. Has anybody installed any of these. Any help will be greatly appreciated
did you have plans for the old exhaust after you took it off? I'm looking for some scrap y-pipes cut off somewhere before where the muffler starts just so I can bolt them up to my old stock manifolds for use during my initial engine start up.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I don't know why brakes would limit factory exhaust options. The V8 factory Y-pipe connects to the same manifolds as did the factory H-pipe. Dual exhaust was its own option not related to the HiPo engine.

The pipes of an original or repro dual exhaust system end about 18" in front of the rear valence on each side. From there you can use trumpets (which actually jog upwards) if you have a GT valence, turn downs or make whatever you want to come out below the valence. Since the main mufflers are in front of the axle they wouldn't have much to do with how the finish the rear end.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Hi Guys,
have you looked into the Arvinode exhaust kits?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the sound of the arvinode. Hear it here

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4uXh5C1nzI

It's a little pricey , but wow what a sound!!!! I wonder what it sounds like on my stock non-hipo 289? The hanger kit is spendy at $230.00. I'm calling Waldron's for more info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, 6T6 great pics. I hope you didn't have to crawl under your car just for me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rolled Fred out of the garage this week

It was a crazy winter in Minnesota, but I'm back on the hunt for dual exhaust conversion kits I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Rolled Fred out of the garage this week

Hello Fred's Owner,
Just wanted to jump in here with a whole new possible option
TRUST me - -I have worked on my cars for MANY years
but 2 years ago I went to a custom exhaust shop and had our Mach 1
exhaust work done.
Just some food for thought. It cost me a little under $500 to go from manifolds
back with TURBO mufflers and straight pipes out the back.

I only mention this because I had planned to do the work myself so I
got prices for parts to do the job Include hangers and clamps in the price,
then get an estimate from a muffler shop.

I drove the car in - -drove out in about an hour and was cruising around.

may custom shops will let you hear different mufflers on your car so that you
can know the sound before purchase.

I know it may have cost me about $100 more than if I did it myself BUT the
exhaust is clean neat, and welded properly with NO rattles.

If you are like me - -there will be LOADS of other projects to do yourself.

Just a little more to consider

Print Dad

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Print Dad. Summer is almost gone and I spent most of it clearing land for my next garage. There's a local custom shop that I always see classic cars parked at... I'll give them a shot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts