Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all the help i have received from allfordmustangs and all the mistakes i have made this is where i stand. I am very happy right now. Here are two videos to show the mistake i made on the cowl repair and how its ok to screw up cause it came out ok, better than ok as far as im concerned. First video was pulling it off, the second is it put back together and a good walk around.
YouTube - ‪65mustang coupe cowl repair, walk around‬‏

Attachments

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You're using the same rims I'm using on my daughter's 66 Coupe, 04 Bullit style rims, 17x8. What size tires are you going with? I'm planning to go with 225/45/17 all around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Samuel - Looks great. One question for you - in your video, what kind of insulation did you use for the firewall??

Thanks!
Delain

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Cracker! lol 275/40/17's are the tires that are on. These will rub a little if i pull a tight u turn and i had to use spacers because they came off a newer mustang, however with the correct back spacing they should be fine without spacers.
Delaine think i remembered that right. I just shot this video quickly so you can see what i was using on the fire wall. Ok time to cannon ball in the pool.
YouTube - ‪65 mustang coupe firewall‬‏

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no problem your welcome. And correction its good to 220 not 300 degrees. but its should be fine. We used this at work. A night club here in vegas had vibrations in there entrance way. it was a big tunnel made out of glass or something we used this on the outside and it cut down on the vibrations. I know they sell armeflex at home depot in tubular form not sure about flat stock.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have 1 inch adapters on mine so as to get the correct back spacing, and whatever the factory tire size is (if I remember right, 245/45/17) and those rub like in the front, just using them as rollers to get the car around the shop. Front is not lowered, factory height, new springs, rebuilt suspension with new control arm bushings new spring perches etc. Although the front fenders are not adjusted and bolted down yet. I'm afraid to use anything as wide as you got, did you have the front fenders rolled?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
What extent of warpage did you have when you welded your quarter skin in?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually cacker, the front were rolled under. You know the small lip on the fender? But the tires don't come that close to them. And the origional wheels that came off musty had an od of 25 1/2". Which is the same on my torque thrust d's w/wheels. They are wider but its the backof the left tire that hits the frame when turning left, and vise versa for the right. I'll shot a video tomorrow and show you the travel of the wheel.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lizer here are a series of pictures from start to finish. I never did this and didnt know where to begin or what to do. I bought a flanging tool. People said to flange the new quarter and tuck under the existing but i couldnt figure out how to hold it in place. seemed like it would want to fall in. so i flanged the existing and cut the quarter to fit where it would rest on the flanged part then i could just push inwards with my hand. worked for me. The only warpage i had was every spot i welded it kinda poked out like a point i just followed behing my welds and gave a little "love tap" to make it poke in instead of out if that makes since. one of the pictures i drew some little arrows so you could see that. other than that i did what i was told and just took my time. felt at some times i was going to fast. kept slowing down. Didnt have anything to compare it too though. my radio repair was the first time using a welder this was the second. Maybe i could have gone faster i just wasnt sure. I cut relief cuts because the flanging tool made the flange it made4 still outward and was pushing the skin out. So i just thought i would take the peanut grinder and cut relief cuts then hammered them inward until the skin felt flush with the car. again used commen since cause i didnt know what to do. I also ended up cuting a larger peice to replace because i wasnt sure where to put a weld. I went high thinking it would be easier to hide i think i made the right choice there. and i stayed off from the very back by the tail light extension as i saw in another vid. the corner is diff, one is a softer edge than the other. As far as i could tell it fit nice its from scott drake dont know which over seas supplier they use but...

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey cracker you know i forget i dont even have my fenders on lol. wasnt even thinking. i will do that though soon i was painting my doors today hopefully can get them on soon and get my fenders on.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
hey cracker you know i forget i dont even have my fenders on lol. wasnt even thinking. i will do that though soon i was painting my doors today hopefully can get them on soon and get my fenders on.
Ahh ok! Well once you get those let me know if you have interference problems. I still have plenty of time before I buy tires I am nowhere near that stage yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts