Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know this has been depated before, however, I have a 66 coupe 200 engine, Pony Carb carb. When in parades the car will sputter and the quit and i will have to wait 10 minutes or so for it to restart. Last weekend it happened and when i coasted to the curb, i opened the hood and took a handful of ice and held it against the bowl to cool it and it seemed to work. The carb was extremely hot but i did not hear bubbling or purcalating. I have heard of the extra spacers (non conductive) and am willing to try it, where do i get it for the 66 200 that has the spacer with the coolant line and the little groove for the vacuum to the carb? i have heard insulate the fuel line, i am concerned that where it goes by the muffler might be a hot spot, what to use to insulate it that so it doen't look hillbilly (no offense to the hillbillys intended) and will work. I will replace the fuel pump if needed, but the one is fairly new and the car runs good except for parades. I need a little help here guys. I really think this is a simple fix but want to know if anyone has done anything that actually worked. thanks in advance

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome to the wonders of ethanol blends. Ethanol boils at 173 degrees. The underhood temperature can easily reach this number. Therefore, you have to protect the fuel line from heat via insulation or re-routing. You might want to fabricate a heat shield for the carb as well.

My dad has a 1950 Shoebox that suffers from this same problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts