Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 67 mustang but my block is from a 66. its a 289 .30 over. i have a question about my cam. i took the engine out and just got done disassembling it. i need to know what size my cam really is. the only numbers i see on it are 130062CD , 36-17-97 , and 965814. i tried putting this info into a search engine but no results. my engine only made 200HP at the wheels and im disappointed because i supposedly bought a build 289. its only 8.5:1 compression. the pistons are trw forged alum. i was told its 10:1 when i bought it when i first got the car. it sat for a few yrs while i got the body done. i just dyno'd the car and was pretty mad at the results, so i brought it home and took the engine out. time to rebuild. i dont know if those numbers will help. how else can i figure out what cam it is? thanks. Nick

·
Registered
52 Posts
that looks like an old crane number, but i couldn't find anything on it. are the trw's flattop or dish ?
I'm a Mustang tech newb, but pretty good at teh internetz. Take this with a grain of salt. :scratchchin

According to the internet wayback machine, "130062" is a Crane Cams part number.

Unfortunately, the product detail page doesn't seem to be archived. This is all it says:

Part no: 130062
Grind: 284 H12
Type: HYDRAULIC ENERGIZER
Description: 1962-UP FORD-MERCURY V-8 221-302 CU.IN. (EXCEPT 1982-UP 302 H.O.)

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
thanks boid, i thought it sounded familar. the 284 energizer was a pretty decent cam for 289/302s. probably can trace lack of h.p. to 8.5 compression and heads. that cam has a pretty good bit of overlap, so 8.5 compression would end up even worse. no cylinder pressure. and we all know about SBF heads. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
yea, when i looked this morning i couldn't get any of the crane stuff to download. i guess with them going out of business the website if no more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow you people are great! thanks for the info. yeah i was told its a .512 lift. it sounds very lumpy at idle so i definatly knew it wasnt stock. thanks again so much. Nick

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
8.5 compression?...geez no wonder it's a slug...get some modern aluminum heads and do a roller conversion with some 373 rear end gears and giddy up !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the alum heads will come later. for now i gota stay with the ported stockers. im hoping to install new pistons and possibly change the cam and see better numbers

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't know much about those numbers but if its makeing 200 horse at 8.5:1 compression its probably a stock cam
A stock 289 cam would not put out 200 RWHP.

On our 289 we did some mild porting on the heads, adding k code manifolds, a performer intake, and a mild cam (larger than stock but nothing wild) and it dynos 180 to the wheels through a top loader with 9:1 compression....so 200 to the wheels through an auto is a decent little 289. Is it a monster motor...no, but it is plenty torquey and a blast to drive I would expect yours to be to.

Before slapping cams in the car have you laid out the basics:
What is the performance goal for the car?
What is the use of the car?
What is the budget?

If you car feel like it is slow to start but then comes alive after a certain point I would look to my trans before doing anything and confirm what stall converter is it there.

PS...based on the info in this thread and your sig...you are over carbed and over exhausted and it appears you might have your intake mis-matched for the cam's (and your heads) powerband. I am not familiar with the brand 6500RPM intake but I would assume that it is much taller with longer runners than stock and it will also kill your bottom end if is designed to start making power at 2500 or more ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts