Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66' mustang coupe with the 200 motor and automatic transmission. I have had it for several years now though I haven't been able to drive it for 2 years because I moved and couldn't take it with me. This past week I got it running again and have been spending a bunch of time working on it. I remember it used to have an issue where the transmission didn't like to shift into park, but now it is much worse. Anyone have an idea where I should start with trouble shooting this?

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
1,647 Posts
Welcome to AFM!

Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details (referred to as your profile in the site rules).

We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would first check the shifter linkage (shifter to transmission). Wear over the years will cause this to be out of synch.
Any competent shop should do this for a reasonable cost. Don't let tell you the trans is shot!

Chas

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Plenty of youtube videos on this. Start there.

Reactions: 66Straight6Steve

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If I had to guess, there are probably two parts to this problem. First being that the plastic bushings in your shifter are shot, so it's wobbling around and not moving the shift linkage quite as far as it should. That's actually pretty cheap and not hard to fix. Kind of a pain if you happen to have a console, but mostly you just have to be more careful so as not to break things or overtighten screws and bust the fragile plastic console sides.

Secondly, there is an adjustment for the shift linkage under your car. Basically, your shifter has a pivot, with a stubby arm that hangs down. It hooks to a metal bar, which attaches to a lever on the transmission that also hangs down. When you pull the shifter back, the stub arm under your car moves forward, and the link bar pushes the lever on the transmission forward the same amount, pivoting in parallel. Simple, right? Well, there's a slot on the linkage that lets you adjust things. If it's slipped a little, the gear detents in your transmission may not be matching up with where the detents are for your shift lever.

Easiest way to fix that is to jack up your car, put it in Park, and then loosen that adjustment. Flip the lever on your transmission until it is all the way 'back' so that it, too, is in Park (you can turn it by hand, and it's not hard to do). Then tighten the adjustment bolt back up. Keep in mind, if your shifter bushings are completely shot, this may not help your problem! Best to fix them first.

And welcome to AFM!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts