Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 66 c4 trans is leaking at rear where the driveshaft goes in. i put a new gasket in it last year but still leaking. could it be the driveshaft yoke where the problem comes from. maybe pitted. 2nd issue is pan gasket. have taken it to transmission shop 3 times to cure the problem and they have replaced the pan gasket all 3 times but still leaking at the back. wet all across. don't see anything coming from above it. they said last time i may need to replace the pan itself cause maybe it is warped. so i am inclined to buy a new pan for it. while i am at it a non related problem is the rear end has a slight drip to it. i am use to being able to take a rear cover off to fix with my camaro (i know bad word for this site lol) to fix but ford has no cover. looks like the guts need to be taken out to fix it. looks like a job for the professionals maybe? it is leaking from the seal that the gears are bolted into. not anywhere else. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my 2 cents

Here is my 2 cents.As far as the rear seal goes on the transmission yes your yoke could be pitted or have a grove worn in to it at the seal location would have thought you would have seen either of these conditions when you had the drive shaft out for seal replacement. not hard to check however just pull the u bolts at the rearend and pull the yoke out a little bit and inspect it.

C4 pans suck don't use silicone on the tranny pan,don't over tighten the bolts causes the pan to warp at the bolt hole locations and the gasket will smush out the side. Options pull the pan and hammer the holes back flush. best option i found was to buy an aluminum pan they have a thicker mounting surface i opted for a little deeper pan with more capacity.

rearend seal: yes to replace the housing seal you need to pull the 3rd member not really all that hard does require that you pull the axle's out a little ways. but are you sure its the seal? do the nuts have the copper sealing washers under them? that will cause a leak also. if you fear this job or don't have the tools/garage then yes it would best left to a pro.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts