Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, new guy here...but old guy with old cars. I have a barn find '66 coupe, 289, all #'s matching that I am restoring and plan to use spindles from a '68 coupe for disk conversion. I have not taken any measurements yet, but I have heard that to do so, I should use '70 rotors and calipers. Any thoughts on this? I have the spindles, calipers, and caliper brackets for the '68. What other conciderations should I make for this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello.
Does the bearings fit between 70 disc and 68 spindle?
Check that the tierods fit, and uca/lca fits.
You have to get a master cylinder (dual bowl) and a proportion valve to adjust breaking prassure front/rear. New brake hoses.
No booster is necessary.

I bought a used complete kit 68, but went for a new disc kit from Mustangsunlimited instead incl. mcyl and propvalve.
Fits on drum spindles.

Sold away the old 68 because a overhaul of it wasnt wort and it was really heavy vs new kit.

New is always new, probably little more expensive. But worth it i think.

/Tommy.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I have no clue if it will work or not.Why not just buy a kit that changes it over to disc like ssbc or baer and many others.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The spindles on the 67 and later Mustangs will not work on the 65-66 :nono:. Try discbrakeswap.com for a complete kit at a good price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They will work but the geometry is different on them which will cause bumsteer. The Granada spindles are based off the '70 Mustang spindle and they work in my '66. The '70 will use different bearings than a '68 though.
If you have a true V8 car they make brackets for disks. NPD lists it as 2B135-1A and 2B134-1A, you then can retain the stock steering geometry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.