Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed another big milestone today. All the body panels, Doors, Fenders, Hood and etc all line up with very good lines. I bolted everything up tight for a mock fit and with a little tweeking, I was able to have great results. There is still even a little room, (fine adjustments) left to tweek some more if needed. Not bad considering this car was left for dead and I had to replace just about every peice of metal, that's lots of welding.

Here are some pictures. I also just noticed today that the Hood is bent on the passenger side right above the tire. You can see in the picture there's a little hump there. The under side of the hood has a dent, like the Hood was closed on top of something. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bend it back? This is my backup Hood for the Hood Scoop to bolt onto.

Next milestone will be primers and block sanding.

Greg

Attachments

· Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to add that the cowl was replaced and after fitting the Fenders I noticed that the cowl is a little taller then the original one. I used a couple of washers under the fender bolt that's closer to that cowl to get some lift. I also moved the Fender Retainer Brackets, this helped in moving the fender up a titch as well.

The passenger side Fender is a Ford Tooling. It's a pretty good fit. Passenger rear Quarter went on pretty smooth with a good fit. However, the drivers side I had to go through 3 quarters before getting one that fit well. Repro metal sucks! One problem was getting the outer wheel house arc/wheel opening to line up with the quarter's arc/wheel opening. The arcs on both were way off for the two of the rear quarters.

The Doors are rust free original from a Colorado car as the drivers side Fender. They fit good. The Passenger side Fender was the match to the other Fender, but it had a tear in it. Looks like the front bumper was ripped off on that side taking part of the fender too.

You will notice in my first picture I used a jack to spred the inner fenders. I only needed about a 1/2" spread so the fenders will have more room at the Hood area. With the jack in place, I welded in the radiator support. The radiator support holds everything in place. I also fitted the Monte Carlo bar and export brace too before welding to make sure they will fit and they do.

Greg

· Registered
2,506 Posts
I think alot of classic Mustang hoods are bent there (I think mine is). Maybe it has something to do with how long the hood is and how strong the hood hinge springs are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.