Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while i wait for my '66 vert to come back from body/paint shop, i'm detailing all the parts i took off.

i'm not sure how to paint the grill. it looks like basic satin black paint, but also looks like the leading edge of the fins is bare metal?

does it work to paint the whole thing, then run a sanding block across the front edge? (will it rust?) or it is supposed to be black throughout?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Just paint the whole grille in Satin (or flat) black. When it's dried, take the finest steel wool possible (I have #000 grade) and just run it over the leading edges. I left my grille bare (has been for 2.5 years) because I like it better that way. I believe the grille is stainless steel (there is no pitting in my grille and it is used daily in every weather).

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I believe the grills are die-cast pot metal instead of SS. SS wouldn't be so brittle. They were painted black all over for the GTs but for others the front edge of the bars were unpainted. I think the portion of each bar immediately behind the corral was left black on all the cars so the stripes wouldn't be seen behind the horse. I would use lacquer thinner to carefully remove the black paint on the front edges. Before the paint has fully cured that is probably easier than steel wool.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I believe the paint on 65s was like a gun metal blue. Did this change for 66 or am I just way off base?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts