Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, been reading a lot. I'm 55, working on bringing my 66 mustang gt convertible back to life, I've owned it since I was 17, and it needs a lot of help. Working on extensive rust repair now, then paint and bodywork, after that comes suspension and wheels. Right now, suspension is all 45 year old original equipment... time for some upgrades. Not much interested in stock, I beleive in updating performance to today's standards where possible.

Looking at the following list of replacement items, hopefully someone here can either confirm my list is OK or correct me so I don't end up with a lot of expensive parts that don't work well together, or miss something else that should be added while everything is torn apart. Subframe connectors will be welded in once all the rust repair is done on the frame and floorboards.

Rolling stock will be some 17" bullit wheels.

Here's what I'm considering:
up front:
TCP tubular UCAs with built in drop
TCP tubular LCAs
grabatrack 620 coils, 1" drop
roller spring perches

out back:
grabatrack 4 1/2 leaf springs

my questions are:
1) do these parts look like they will make a decent handling car?
2) on the rear springs, should I go with the mid eye or reverse eye
3) any parts other than these that I should consider? will need shocks but not sure what I'll go with yet.
4) I saw a handling 'kit' that included my parts, plus new front/rear sway bars. not sure if this is overkill or would be beneficial.

Many many thanks for the good info here and any help anyone can provide.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
A few ideas:
Get the next softest front spring, about 500 lbs. The 620s ride pretty firm, and the low-compliance suspension will amplify it. Also, I'd highly reccomend adjustable strut rods, so that caster adjustment is easier, and you can get better response by eliminating the soft bushing. It's really the only effective way of increasing responsiveness.

I'd use mid-eye springs. They are supposed to drop the rear about 1", which is about as low as I'd go without some fender modifications. Also, traction bars will help alot with wheel hop and stability.

For shocks, I'm using KYB Gas-a-Just, and they work fairly well. However, I'd personally like to get some adjustable shocks, and would like to go with either Koni or VariShocks from TCP.

Swaybars will also help greatly. In your case, I'd do 1" front, 3/4" rear. Or get the adjustable Shelby rear roll bar. That one doesn't sit on the axle, and therefore doesn't reduce wheel travel (mine is on the axle, and regularly hits the exhaust).

Lastly, being a convertible, you need chassis bracing. TCP also sells that, especially for the convertible, if you want to keep product consistency.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few ideas:
Get the next softest front spring, about 500 lbs. The 620s ride pretty firm, and the low-compliance suspension will amplify it. Also, I'd highly reccomend adjustable strut rods, so that caster adjustment is easier, and you can get better response by eliminating the soft bushing. It's really the only effective way of increasing responsiveness.

I'd use mid-eye springs. They are supposed to drop the rear about 1", which is about as low as I'd go without some fender modifications. Also, traction bars will help alot with wheel hop and stability.

For shocks, I'm using KYB Gas-a-Just, and they work fairly well. However, I'd personally like to get some adjustable shocks, and would like to go with either Koni or VariShocks from TCP.

Swaybars will also help greatly. In your case, I'd do 1" front, 3/4" rear. Or get the adjustable Shelby rear roll bar. That one doesn't sit on the axle, and therefore doesn't reduce wheel travel (mine is on the axle, and regularly hits the exhaust).

Lastly, being a convertible, you need chassis bracing. TCP also sells that, especially for the convertible, if you want to keep product consistency.

Good luck with your build!
great info and advice, thanks a TON. if the 620's are going to be too stiff, I saw some pregressively wound springs someplace, I may also look into those instead of the 620's, on the surface it sounds like best of both worlds. I installed progressive wound springs in the forks of my last couple motorcycles and like how they perform there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts