Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my 66' and I replaced the carb and got her running. I was able to go up and down the driveway a couple times (to make sure of no leaks and she drove fine) And I notice just a trail of i think oil. I immediately turn her off and look under. The leak is coming from where the tranny and engine meet up. Can anyone tell me what to do about that? Im new to mechanics and need some help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i have no classic experiance, but it sounds like the rear main seal, gotta take the transmission out to get to it.

for future referance it;'s the bellhousing that meets the engine, the only part that meets the engine from the transmission is the input shaft :?:

hope you can get this fixed for a resonable price, will be ALOT of labor.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Anabolic is correct about the rear engine seal and the amount of labor necessary to fix it. If you are running an automatic transmission, the leak could be transmission fluid from the front seal on the transmission. Tranny fluid would be reddish or orangish brown, while motor oil would be more honey colored to blackish.
Best,
Al

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this something that I can do just by taking out the tranny or do I have to take out the whole engine...I'm hopeing I can do it myself (with the help of friends) this weekend.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If u do have to take off the transmission its pretty easy. Iv got the same transmission. I'm 18 with no experience and i took mine off by myself. Just can't get the horrible smell of transmission fluid out of my garage. So good luck

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just be positive what it is and exactly where it's coming from before you go jerking the tranny out. Also the proper procedure for doing so. If not you can cause yourself grief.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Absolutely make sure which fluid you are leaking. Most main rear seals seap when they leak but a trans will dump alot of fluid quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 3 speed manual and it is loosing fluid fast as far as the color it looked more like oil...what it be safe to say just take the tranny out and replace both seals (rear main and front tranny)?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Manual transmission oil looks very similar to motor oil but is thicker with a different smell and feel. If the motors rear main seal is not leaking/seeping, leave it alone. Just fix the transmission leak.

·
Registered
138 Posts
From my recollection, you don't have to remove a manual transmission to replace the rear main seal. Just pull the oil pan and the rear main cap.
There used to be a kit for replacing those old rope rear main seals with the engine in the car and it was a PITA to do. If there is a neoprene replacement seal available, it would be fairly easy to replace.
So far as the transmission goes, the oil has an extremely distinctly smelly odor. I doubt the transmission is the problem as they usually only leak at the rear. To find out what I am talking about so far as the smell is concerned, go to the auto parts store and take the cap off of a bottle of 90W gear oil and smell it. I guarantee you will not forget what gear oil smells like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts