Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is pretty much an observation, but would love some comments.
So this weekend I wend to the track with my two cars (just got the k code), and got to drive both a few laps. (the track is a curvy track, not a particularly fast track, and I'm also a rotten driver).

The 66 K code breaks free in the turns much much earlier then the 67. no comparison. It's fun to drive the K code, but it just is not holding the road very well (in comparison).

The 66 k code has Michelin pilot tires, and 14/6 magnum rims. the tires are not narrow, but they are 'let's say normal' (don't have the measurements handy). So excellent tires, but not wide. The car has the Shelby drop. Koni shocks.... 4 speed hipo. the rear end must be 3:87.

The 67 has 15 x 7 torque thrust D's, and 225/60/15 continental extreme contact tires.
Subframe connectors, konis, and rack and piniion steering, but the car is not dropped... it does have heavy duty springs in front, and 5 leaves in the rear.

Basically both cars have pretty good suspension set ups, (the 67 a little better).

So I'm wondering if the radical road holding difference between the 2 cars is because of wheelbase? (or is the wheelbase the same?) I would have thought the Shelby drop would have helped the 66 perform really well? Both cars have good tires...I did not think that tire width would make a big difference? So I'm thinking it's not that?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Could be a number of things, wide tires on the 67, more power in the 66, better gear in the 66, etc.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tire width is only one factor. The durometer of it also comes into play. A high durometer tire will last a long time but offer little in the way of traction as it has no stickiness to it. A low durometer tire is just the opposite. Plenty sticky but a short life

1 - 3 of 3 Posts