Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 mustang 200 - stock everything but am interested in putting on a luggage rack. I ordered one and it appears to be stainless steel and not chromed metal -- which is better? the stainless steel sort of takes away from my other chrome pieces but if it is correct I want to keep, but if chromed metal is best let me know. I am now sort of questioning the luggage rack sort of -- pain to clean in between when detailing. Open to anyone's thoughts. thansk Nox

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I've been thinking about putting one on my Mustang, but was sort of driven off it for a while by some points brought up by members. First, trying to wash the car becomes a pain. Second, if you don't drill the holes perfectly than it will noticeably be crooked (unless you find an original luggage rack trunk lid). Third, some members were telling me about them rusting or pitting between a few months and a few years based on the quality of the material (stainless can rust).

If you really want to than go for it. It's your car, don't let others deter you (including my depressing sounding post, lol).

And from what I can find, including older photos, the luggage rack was stainless. The pictures I've found show that it doesn't match the rear bumper, but it does match the stainless around the rear window.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I ordered one and it appears to be stainless steel and not chromed metal -- which is better? the stainless steel sort of takes away from my other chrome pieces...
I don't understand your concern. Much of the Mustang trim was originally stainless like the drip molding trim and the window surround trims. What is there to 'take away' by having more of the same? There can be a subtle difference in color of stainless and chrome but not necessarily very much. Some of the original windshield trims were stainless and chrome parts which touched each other. On your convertible, the rear well hockey sticks are chromed pot metal; the long strip between the two at the back side of the window is stainless. No one complains about them and most think of them are one continuous trim strip with snaps.

Scratched stainless can be repolished to look like new. Scratched chrome is forever scratched unless you pay big bucks to have it rechromed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info --definately gives me something to think about--like the look but once those holes are there- dang. Plus i really like to wipe it down and cruise. decisions , decisions

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
i can't imagine rechroming a luggage rack being more than $150.
First of all, if its stainless there is no reason to chrome it. Secondly, you must not have tried to get anything plated lately. The EPA has put nearly all the shops out of business and getting any quality work done is Expen$ive with a capital E. To properly plate a luggage rack it has to be disassembled, plated and reassembled. That may not even be possible depending upon how it was constructed.

A bumper which is pretty simple, although larger, costs a minimum of $150 to re-plate at the cheapest shops I know about and its often several times that for a decent job. The days of inexpensive plating are long gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts