Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 coupe that I am planning on swapping a BluePrint 331 stroker and AOD trans into. I am currently researching headers and would like your input on what fits best with this combination.

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's an unusual combo for a '66; you might have to look into some custom headers. Or at the very least, whatever ones you buy will need some massaging. But it's highly unlikely you'll find some that will bolt right in with no trouble.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good luck - the JBA headers are supposed to fit and some other high end headers are rumored to fit as well. The small, early engine bay, and the AOD - do not play well. I am at the point that I want some headers - but don't need headers....if I find any for a fair price (ceramic) I will buy them. For now - I won't pay 500 - 700 bucks for headers on a 325 horse sbf.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8433-1/overview/make/ford

I used these in my '66 with a 5.0 HO and AOD tranny. It was a very tight fit and I had to grind off an ear on the AOD to get the drivers side to fit. But they worked and not too expensive...if you are willing to do a little work. I went with 2 1/2 exhaust all the way and used the Dynamax VT mufflers. The exhaust shop had to route the pipes around that wide arsed AOD and the pipes were lower than I really liked. I had lowering springs and had to go back to the stock style spring to keep from rubbing the pipes on every speed bump. Good luck and for sure your mileage may vary with the stroker combo.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a 66 with an AOD. I used Sanderson shorties. Perfect fit. If you tell them you have an AOD when you order, they "tweak" the right side header to clear the starter better.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Looks great. I also like the color of the car, since it seems to be the same Vintage Metallic Burgundy as mine. One that color was on Mecum last year, with the same black vinyl roof and interior and exterior decor group as mine. But it was show car (mine certainly isn't), with lots of bling. Bidding stopped at $65K (not sold).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts