Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im getting ready to sand my 66 coupe. I need to clean that goo out of the drip rail and replace it with new stuff, but what exactly is it and what should i put in there now? Thanks

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Make sure you get all the old sealer out of there. If it's the original stuff, it's probably pretty hard anyway. That entire area is prone to rust because the sealer breaks down and water gets under it. Make sure you remove any rust with a wire brush or wheel.

I've had some pretty good luck with a product called Aero-flex. It's a seam sealer that comes in it's own dispenser so you don't need a caulking gun. You can use it in many places on your car as you restore it. It adheres really well to the metal and it's paintable. Although the directions say you can paint over it in an hour, I always waited 24 hours before priming and painting. Whatever product you choose, make sure it accepts paint and clear coat. Good Luck. :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I honestly don't remember where I bought it since it was awhile ago.:scratchchin It was probably NAPA since that's where I usually shop.

I do know that NAPA has a "house brand" seam sealer which is supposed to be very good. They also sell 3M brand seam sealer which is good but a little spendy. Hope this helps. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
462 Posts
Urethane caulk will work. It's cheap and available at most hardware stores. Keep some paint thinner (use sparingly) and a small brush handy to smooth any rough edges on the roof side before it dries. Before you start, consider what you'll use to spread it. Fingers don't work well in such a narrow channel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.