Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a stang i just bought and playing around with, trying to get it fired up.

I changed the spark plugs, changed the distrubutor, changed the carb, put a new coil, hooked everything up and i get spark.

The fuel pump is bad though, not pumping any fuel no presure. I put gas, quite a bit actually down the carb, should still fire up for a sec. I can't get this thing to fire. Theres spark and it does crank.

I know it needs gas, but the amount i dumped in the carb should have it fired for at least seconds.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
spark timing may be way off, recheck the firing order and make sure the distributor is timed correctly. look at the distributor cap, find cyl.#1 and make below it on the distributor housing with a pen, take the cap off, and rotate #1 cyl to TOP DEAD CENTER, the rotor should be in-line with the mark you made.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply, i do have the correct firing order for the standard 289 / 302. Tried with spark plug or cycl #1, got preasure and distrubtor points to correct plug. I tried exactly what you suggested as well. I did have the wrong firing order first time which was giving me the plop noises from the carb. Had the 351 firing order, right when i heard the backfires, knew right away it was the wrong firing order. Its a tough challenge for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will it run on starting fluid? and how much spark it present? can the spark jump a half inch gap?

I tried starting fluid as well. That didn't jump it either. The spark isn't half inch gap, its very faint. Maybe half of an half inch. Thats my next step is changing the distrubutor. I replaced the one i had in there with one i had kicking around as I have a running 68 mustang as well. I was thinking that before that i may not have enough spark.

·
Registered
194 Posts
well the distributor just delivers the spark to a certain cylinder and sets the burn time, the actual voltage required to jump the plug gap it made in the coil. I would swap out the coil too and see if the spark improves, also get that fuel pump fixed. Dumping raw gas is just flooding the crap out of one or two cylinders. non-atomized fuel will not reach all cylinders evenly

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the distributor just delivers the spark to a certain cylinder and sets the burn time, the actual voltage required to jump the plug gap it made in the coil. I would swap out the coil too and see if the spark improves, also get that fuel pump fixed. Dumping raw gas is just flooding the crap out of one or two cylinders. non-atomized fuel will not reach all cylinders evenly
-----------------------------------------------------------

I tried swapping coils as well. Took it out of my 68 mustang, tried my msd blaster coil. Still same thing response. I nick named my 68 mustang from the movie "christine" , cuz every brand new part i replaced twice, but shes good now. (knocking on wood) Yah.. i was thinking that to.. might as well try that get a cheap carter mechanical fuel pump for 30 bucks and try that out.

if anything comes up i'd appreciate it..
thanks for your hep

·
Registered
194 Posts
next thing I would look at it valve timing, but it is rare for a timing chain to jump, timing belts I see jump all the time, but chains rarely. If you recently put this motor together i would recheck it if everything else is ok. Check for vacuum at a intake port. need at least 2psi while cranking, should be about 5, if no vacuum is present check the valve train. motor running 15psi to 17psi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts