Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to secure the door lock cylinders on a '66 mustang.

I inserted the retaining clip until the ledges of lock cylinder were at the peak of the bump in the retaining clip. Now the key does not turn the lock. Should I insert it further until the ledges on the lock cylinder clear to the other side of the retaining clip bump?

Did not do that yet for fear of not getting clip off afterwards.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
You have it in correctly as you have it. Are you sure it's the correct key? Does the lock turn without the retainer? Is it the correct cylinder for the correct side? The arm on the back of the key will face a different direction on each side of the car. That arm is the only rotating part of the key, externally. In this case you just need to study it to see how it works, and then figure out what's happening to make it not work. I can't think of a lot that would cause this to happen other than the swiveling arm was binding up on the clip somehow. Or you have the wrong key. Or your cylinder just needs some graphite lube.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Agree with Lizer. Here is a photo of what he is talking about. If you remove the big metal plug on the end of the door you should be able to tell if you have the wrong one installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another mystery solved!
I inspected everything against your responses - thank you - everything was correct.
However, the keys supplied at purchase has four keys: one for the ignition, one for the trunk, and (now) two for the doors.
Previous owners must have replaced the door locks and not the ignition lock.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
For less than $25 you can buy a lock kit which will give you doors and ignition that use the same key. The trunk always had its own key. If it were my car I would check into the kit. During December its 10% cheaper than indicated.

65-66 2 DOORS AND IGNITION LOCK SET

Yes, I already installed one on my car. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts